What's Wrong With My Gum Paste?

Decorating By gerripje Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 1:56am by sugarshack

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:36am
post #1 of 8

I made a batch of gum paste using gum tex and the recipe on the can. It's a few weeks old, because I got tylose in the mail and was dying to try the Nicholas Lodge recipe icon_biggrin.gif , which I love, love, love it. Now when I am using up the gum tex stuff, it cracks on the edges when I roll it out, doesn't hold it's shape at all, and is generally weak. It won't hold any amount shortening then it just crumbles up. What should I do to make it work for me? It seems like it's dry, but it's just nothing like the RTU stuff or the tylose stuff. Thanks!

7 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 8

try adding a couple of drops of water to it.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 8

That happen to me before and I add water and it didn't work it becomes so sticky and ugly consistency even if I add little by little and the next time that happen to me I add glycerin and it works!!!! thumbs_up.gif

gerripje Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 8

Oh glycerine! I'll have to try that. I hope it makes it more stretchy, I didn't know what to do with this stuff. I'm not going to bother making it anymore (unless I run out of tylose icon_cry.gif ) Thanx for the suggestions!

Frankyola Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 8

Did you like the Nicholas Lodge one? I got the tylose to try it but I haven't yet it is stretchy? Does it dry fast? Is it easy to work with?

I am sorry for all the ???? but I can't wait to try it.

Thank You so much.

P.S. If you don't have glycerine try using a little bit of crisco and corn syrup it would be a little bit sticky when you start but the crisco it is going to help, rub your hands with crisco too.

gerripje Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 8

Oh! I think the glycerine is going to work. I had a little left. I really like the Nicholas Lodge one, I think. I am certainly no excpert, but it seems easy to work with for me. It's alot like the Wilton RTU stuff. It is quite stretchy and pliable. It has been drying pretty quick and holds the shape of a petal, the gum tex stuff just wilts away when it put it down, that is if I didn't rip it or wreck it with my ball tool. I made a gum tex batch before using corn syrup instead of glucose and it worked o.k. but not great. I figured since the one ingrI've made some roses, calla lilies, and bows with the tylose stuff. They look the best. Easier to not have "fuzzy" edges and has the strength when I thin or frill the petals. I've only been doing (well actually obsessed) for 4 months. Here in Southern Alberta I'm limited to Michael's or ordering online. I hate waiting for stuff to come in the mail! Sorry to be so long! I could go on forever!

Frankyola Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 8

I know I am obsessed too, thank you so much for your help. thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:56am
post #8 of 8

i LOVE the nic lodge recipe best of all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%