How To Make A Pregnant Belly Cake

Decorating By doublecz1103 Updated 4 Mar 2014 , 12:43am by Anne-Marie7

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 5:46pm
post #31 of 40

Here's a video on how to make the belly cake

I can't wait to try making this cake, it looks like it'll be fun! icon_smile.gif

Anne-Marie7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anne-Marie7 Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 3:22pm
post #32 of 40

To Faithbound: How do you make the belly look like the babies' feet are pushing out? I've got one to do next week, and that part is stressing me out.

icon_cry.gif

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 4:14pm
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie7

How do you make the belly look like the babies' feet are pushing out? I've got one to do next week, and that part is stressing me out.

icon_cry.gif

You can use a baby foot cookie cutter or print out a baby foot pattern then cut it out of fondant (make sure you cut it a little thick). After you cut it out, put the foot on top of the crumb coated belly cake. Do this before you cover the cake in fondant. The foot pattern should then show through. You may need to smooth the fondant around the foot to show the shape better.

Amycakes12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amycakes12 Posted 14 May 2013 , 9:10pm
post #34 of 40

I have done three so far and tweak a little each time, lol.  It all depends on the buyer's desire too as far as the size of the breast and belly, but here's what I do!

I use a Wilton soccer ball pan for the belly and the Wilton sports ball pan for the breast.  I sometimes carve around the breast to reduce them if the buyer wants it really proportionate.  The belly can either be just the soccer ball or an 8' round under to add some height, again it's all about preference.

I cut and mold it all together and once I have it all set I place it back on the board to crumb coat.  Once the icing is on it I transfer my fondant in one large piece over the top of the cake and then sink it in a little at the "waistline" and back over the belly dropping the fondant to find a natural falling around the belly.  I have left access fondant to make a more wavy ruffled bottom, I have had one that was cut off around it to resemble denim shorts, and then this one where I just used the icing to create the ruffled edge look. 

It can seem a bit intimidating at first but it is rather simple and I would say with no 8" round and just using the two ball pans you can feed 20-25 people without having to cut the pieces to small.

Hope this helps!!

AppleMark

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 11:27pm
post #35 of 40

hi! I gotta make a pregnant belly cake too, I read the post and it was so helpfull!

I also was wondering what type a cake did you guys baked in the ball pan and how long because I'm afraid the cake will turn out dry since probably it will need more time in the oven!

thanks

ltkittykat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ltkittykat Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 7:02pm
post #36 of 40

Can you make this with out the special ball pans.  I don't know if purchasing them would be an investment I am ready for just yet. Most of my orders are round or rectangle. Can I bake rounds and carve? Has anyone done this and how does it work for the ta ta's ?  Thanks ahead of time.

Brandi

ltkittykat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ltkittykat Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 1:53pm
post #37 of 40

I looked at the ball pans from wilton, the pan looked REALLY small. Was I looking at the wrong item???? My client didn't request another cake under the belly, just the belly and ta ta's on a cake board... if I use the ball pan i saw in the store its going to be a tiny belly, what am I doing wrong??

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 2:35pm
post #38 of 40

AAnne-Marie7 just make a fondat foot and 5 little ball's for the fingers on thee cake before fondant this is the one I make, my family love it but i think I make the foot to thick. [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3045448/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT="Belly bump cake"]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3045447/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

kolC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kolC Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 2:36am
post #39 of 40

I have a questions about baking times and proportions... 

Under-cooked belly is my biggest concern. How do you get the middle to work out perfect and keep the sides from burning into crispy cookie? Doing my own baby shower cake, (yes my own belly in a way and dont want it in "raw-batter" flavor)

Second concern: proportion of boobs to belly. Ok so preggers are bustier + I am on the top-heavy side too, but I don't want to call that out to a diverse audience of a co-ed shower. But, it shouldn't look unnatural either! 

I am thinking a 8" Flat Diddio round pan for the belly and small 3.5" boobs?

Or should I go 6.5" Wilson soccer ball pan and 3.5" for the boobs?

Or a Pyrex bowl? I heard you could bake in a Pyrex bowl, could you?

Or regular bundt cake molds, to make certain the insides bake well and then fill in with some ganache?? I am not great at sculpting cakes once baked and I'm scared I will make a disfigured pregnant-me cake. Please help!

Anne-Marie7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anne-Marie7 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 12:43am
post #40 of 40

AThanks to everyone who took the time to respond. I used some firm fondant and hand molded a tiny foot. I placed this onto the cake before covering with fondant. I used my hands and a small gumpaste tool to get the fondant to form neatly around the foot, redefining the shape. It came out fine. I've made four of them now already.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%