Amazing Cake Competition In North Florida!!!

Decorating By cake_o_rama Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 7:51pm by Yuni

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:05pm
post #31 of 77

I will be there!! I am so excited - I just really hope my cake turns out the way I want it to. I am probably going to start on it tomorrow and work through most of the weekend on it.....<fingers crossed>!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 11:32pm
post #32 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_o_rama

I see there have been more bakers signing up for Lets Eat Cake! Are any you on CC participating? I'd love to meet up with you.

I am going!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

janelwaters Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 11:37pm
post #33 of 77

SHUT UP!!! Now I am even more excited!!!!!!

tonedna Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 11:46pm
post #34 of 77

If anybody knows me please...better say hi!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

janelwaters Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 11:52pm
post #35 of 77

Edna - I just watched all your tutorials on how to make a Calla - they are going to be my topper for my cake - I'm OBVIOUSLY in the ameture division...

Thank you so much for the tutorials and all the time that you take to give out such great help, instruction and advice!!

tonedna Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 11:58pm
post #36 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

Edna - I just watched all your tutorials on how to make a Calla - they are going to be my topper for my cake - I'm OBVIOUSLY in the ameture division...

Thank you so much for the tutorials and all the time that you take to give out such great help, instruction and advice!!

Oh!.. I wish you the best!!!.. I am going on the professional category, kind of scary for me too. I have a student that told me that she will be going too. I said to her, is scary, but the experience is worth it.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

cake_o_rama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_o_rama Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:01am
post #37 of 77

Edna,
I hardly think you need to be scared. Your work is amazing.

I was doing great until I found out that Keri Vincent was going to be a judge... now I'm super scared! icon_eek.gif

janelwaters Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:01am
post #38 of 77

this will be my first competition ever - of any kind, I missed the fair this year! So, I'm kinda freakin out!! I am definatly going to start on the calla's this weekend, so, I'm sure I will rewatch your videos 100 times...haha!!

tonedna Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:06am
post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_o_rama

Edna,
I hardly think you need to be scared. Your work is amazing.

I was doing great until I found out that Keri Vincent was going to be a judge... now I'm super scared! icon_eek.gif

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....why you think Im scared!.. I think she is awesome. I have met her before. But to be judge by her! icon_redface.gif
It will be fun win or loose. Im so excited!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

janelwaters Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:12am
post #40 of 77

How did you guys come up with your design?? I'm just wondering..... I am using a wedding dress as inspiration b/c I don't really do wedding cakes (bake for family and friends...people don't get married as often as they have a birthday! haha!). I had a really hard time deciding what to do, so I just started searching wedding sites and looking at dresses.

Anyway...how did you come up with your design (without "giving it away").

tonedna Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:17am
post #41 of 77

In my case it was something I been wanting to do for a long time. I am not the type of person to draw things on paper like other designers do. I found out that things in paper look sometimes so beautiful but when they are done in real life they just dont look right sometimes. I use to design clothes years ago. And I just see something in my head and go for it.. I wanted to do something in between modern and classic.. Still in the middle of it. Hope it turns out well.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

LILBOBO1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LILBOBO1980 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:19am
post #42 of 77

I have a couple of questions in hopes that someone may know.

Do you have to enter the competition if you want to donate cakes for the auction?? Or can you go and just donate a cake for the auction? I would not mind paying the 25.00 fee for the amateur competition but I really do not want to participate in it... I have only done a few cakes and I am not ready for something like that. But I really want to go and see everyone's beautiful work and donate a cake.

Also, do you have to be licensed in order to donate a cake? I am in no way licensed and would be baking from my home kitchen.

Thanks in advance for any help ladies : ) I am so excited for everyone!

tonedna Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:20am
post #43 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBOBO1980

I have a couple of questions in hopes that someone may know.

Do you have to enter the competition if you want to donate cakes for the auction?? Or can you go and just donate a cake for the auction? I would not mind paying the 25.00 fee for the amateur competition but I really do not want to participate in it... I have only done a few cakes and I am not ready for something like that. But I really want to go and see everyone's beautiful work and donate a cake.

Also, do you have to be licensed in order to donate a cake? I am in no way licensed and would be baking from my home kitchen.

Thanks in advance for any help ladies : ) I am so excited for everyone!

I would call them and ask is a good question!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

LILBOBO1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LILBOBO1980 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:37am
post #44 of 77

I just went to their website and it states that the general public can donate a cake to the cake auction. I was on the blog about the competition and so I did not see the info until I went to letseatcakefundraiser.com. I am assuming that you do not have to be licensed since it is not stated. If I find a number I will call and check.

Yay... I can do a cake after all : )

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:17am
post #45 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Edna, don't forget to wear those stilettos! Then we are sure not to miss you. icon_wink.gif jk

tonedna Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:25am
post #46 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Edna, don't forget to wear those stilettos! Then we are sure not to miss you. icon_wink.gif jk

Are you kidding me..those are attached to my feet icon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Parable Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:33am
post #47 of 77

I'll be looking for ya! I'll be there as a volunteer, helping out.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:41am
post #48 of 77

i actually got the formal invite last year (towards the end ) and was hoping to go... but right now money is tight around my house... so $100 for the entry is ok... its all the other expenses that would kill me... (i.e. hotel, food, car rental...) so if i can go then i will but i think the dedline for entry fees and forms to be in is feb 1st.... unless they extended it...

tonedna Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:12pm
post #49 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesley1

i actually got the formal invite last year (towards the end ) and was hoping to go... but right now money is tight around my house... so $100 for the entry is ok... its all the other expenses that would kill me... (i.e. hotel, food, car rental...) so if i can go then i will but i think the dedline for entry fees and forms to be in is feb 1st.... unless they extended it...

Me too..thats how I found out about it.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:26pm
post #50 of 77

That was SOOOOOOOOOO awesome last night! Edna, your cake was beautiful, but of course it was, you made it! Janelwaters, did you end up making it? I didn't get a chance to run around a meet everyone. I totally hope they do that again next year. It was a blast!

cake_o_rama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_o_rama Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #51 of 77

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a great time last night. I am so disappointed that I had to withdraw from the competition, but my Dad passed away and I was busy with the funeral and family. I've seen some pictures already, but I'd love to see and hear more about it since I couldn't be there.

janelwaters Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:41pm
post #52 of 77

I did make it! barely - I was an hour late past check in - I was at table 5 up front. I learned SO much from this competition and am ready to find another one!!!

I posted the pic of my cake - its in my photos.

Where was everyone else??

Cake-o-rama - I'm so sorry that you were not able to make it, but even more sorry to hear about your Dad - I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

tonedna Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:59pm
post #53 of 77

I havent posted mine!...But I will, I talked to kerry and ask her to give me pointers cause I have no idea what they are looking for. She said that next time I use gold not to put as much. So one more thing I learned. It was so much fun!!!... I am still not sure what the judges look for in competitions, but I guess the more you do them the more you learn!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

janelwaters Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:06pm
post #54 of 77

Enda - it was so good to meet you yesterday - even briefly! I thought you cake was AMAZING!! I was really suprised that you didn't win!!

You are just as cute in person as on your videos!!!

tonedna Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:22pm
post #55 of 77
Quote:

Enda - it was so good to meet you yesterday - even briefly! I thought you cake was AMAZING!! I was really suprised that you didn't win!!

You are just as cute in person as on your videos!!!

Aww... Thanks so much! Wich one were you? icon_rolleyes.gif I met a few from here!
Well I can understand and respect the judges ideas. Is a learning process, and I am still learning, so it might not be the last time I loose.
But I wish they had second and third place too.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

janelwaters Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:39pm
post #56 of 77

I was up front next to the girl with the amazing green and brown cake.

I barely got to say hi to you - who was that hunky man you were with??? icon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:48am
post #57 of 77

He is my best friend and dance partner..And the one who dropped my cake twice!..I brought him with me cause the cake was heavy and my husband was working. Well guess what, he was having a clumsy day!..
He is never clumsy!...Well..he is so humiliated now, cause the second time the cake was completely got completely broken. He wouldnt even look at me in the eyes on the way back.
I am writing the whole story on my blog. I will let you know when i am done..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

janelwaters Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:10am
post #58 of 77

Oh my gosh, I bet he feels TERRIBLE!!!!

How many hours did you have into that cake???

tonedna Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:04am
post #59 of 77
Quote:

Oh my gosh, I bet he feels TERRIBLE!!!!

How many hours did you have into that cake???

We are talking about weeks..I made all the flowers and covering the fondant and spray painting, so many details.. Obviously I was designing it and now that I have done it is faster to redo, but Is not a design a copied, all was original, so I had to think the details.
Edna icon_redface.gif

Parable Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:56am
post #60 of 77

Janel and Edna,

Both of your cakes were beautiful and amazing. I loved meeting both of you. Janel, hope to see you again soon at our guild meetings. I am still trying to counter all that sugar and cake from last night. That was my DINNER!

I so enjoyed working with Melissa, as a volunteer, on this event. BTW, I won the bid for the cake Edna's company donated. I LOVVVVVE Hummingbird Cake. Who make all those cute little children on the cake? I am saving them for show-n-tell later.

Thanks for a wonderful evening,

Judy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%