Gumpaste

Decorating By arwa Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 7:53am by Nusi

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 6:17am
post #1 of 11

Hi,

Ive been wanting to post since a very long time but thought it was a little silly to do so. But i finally had to.... Ive never used gumpaste before moreso coz its not available where i come from. Now my question is how different is gumpaste from fondant mixed with gumtex ( see i told u its silly)....

I have tried mixing fondant with gumtex to make a bow but it never dries very hard. It pretty humid here so what would be the best remedy?

Also is it very difficult to make gumpaste at home?

Thanx in advance!

10 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 6:53am
post #2 of 11

the best is to use Nicolas Lodge's recipe. I can be found on his website. I also have problems with humidity and tylose/fondant mix. It works ok for figurines, but for items you want really hard, like bows and flowers it is not great at all. I also have a differnt flowerpaste recipe I use, its a bit more complicated than the NL one, but it works like a dream.

PM me if you would like that recipe, but really try out the NL one!

arwa Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:47am
post #3 of 11

I wasnt able to find the recipe here could u pls send me the link to it....thnx!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 11

You need Tylose - it's a gum tragacanth(sp?) substitute. Nic sells it along w/many other on line shops.
You make royal icing, then add the Tylose w/the mixer running. I just a few seconds you have wonderful, easy to use gumpasteicon_smile.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 11

kakeladi, are you saying that you make gumpaste out of simply royal icing and tylose? Do you use egg whites for the royal icing or meringue powder?

jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 11

I agree with Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste. It is so smooth and easy to work with. I believe it is egg whites, ps and tylose.

HTH
Jen

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 11

Tylose Gumpaste from nicholaslodge.com

Tylose is an alternative product to use in making gumpaste instead of gum tragacanth. The advantage of the Tylose is that the paste is less expensive,, easier to make, holds up better in humidity and is whiter in color. The 55g container makes approximately 3 pounds of finished gumpaste.

The following recipe will make approximately 2 pounds of gumpaste.

4 - Large Egg Whites
1 - 2 lb. bag 10x powdered sugar
12 - Level teaspoons Tylose (Available in our online store)
4 - Teaspoons shortening (Crisco)

1. Place the egg whites in a Kitchen Aid mixer bowl fitted with the flat paddle.

2. Turn the mixer on high speed for 10 seconds to break up the egg whites.

3. Reserve 1 cup of the powdered sugar and set aside.

4. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed and slowly add the remaining sugar. This will make a soft consistency royal icing.

5. Turn up the speed to setting 3 or 4 for about 2 minutes. During this time measure off the tylose into a small container.

6. Make sure the mixture is at the soft peak stage. It should look shiny, like meringue and the peaks fall over. (If coloring the entire batch, add the paste color at this stage, making it a shade darker than the desired color.)

7. Turn the mixer to the slow setting and sprinkle the Tylose in over a five second time period. Next, turn the speed up to the high setting for a few seconds. (This will thicken the mixture.

8. Scrape the mixture out of the bowl onto a work surface that has been sprinkled with some of the reserved 1 cup of
powdered sugar. Place the shortening on your hands and knead the paste, adding enough of the reserved powdered sugar to form a soft but not sticky dough. You can check by pinching with your fingers and they should come away clean. Place the finished paste in a zip-top bag, then place the bagged paste in a second bag and seal well.

9. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours if possible before using to mature the paste.

10. Before use, remove from refrigerator and allow the paste to come to room temperature. Take a small amount of shortening on the end of your finger and knead this into the paste. If you are coloring the paste, add the paste color at this stage.

11. Always store the paste in the zip-top bags and return to the refrigerator when you are not using the paste. Will keep under refrigeration for approximately 6 months. You can keep the paste longer by freezing. Be sure to use zip-top freezer bags. If you will be freezing a batch of paste, allow it to mature for 24 hours in the refrigerator first before placing into the freezer.

arwa Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 11

Thnx so much guys .... now all i have to do is get the Tylose which might take sometime since im in the UAE.....

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 11

you can also try CMC or dyocell, its the same as tylose, in SA we sometimes battle to get tylose and I've used cmc, worked exactly the same

Noura80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noura80 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 7:02am
post #10 of 11

thank you for the recipe

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 7:53am
post #11 of 11

hi im from dubai,

arwa you must be using the gumtex from wilton, if u look on the can there is a recipe for gumpaste on it now there are 4 things that u might be using:

1- fondant: never drys hard and is edible
2- fondant with gum tex powder: a little more sstable to use i like using this for figures if they are not required to stand.
3- fondant mixed with gumpaste equal ammount : this is harder than the above better used for a bow "i dont like putting pur gumpase in my cakes much.
4- gumpaste : dries rock hard i would use this for flowers and anything that requires to stand up high

the downside of wilton gum tex is that it smells BAD.. tylose is not available here.. i get mine from a friend of mine who orders a big quantity from outside the UAE

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%