Booking Issue

Business By too_nice_to_slice Updated 7 Jan 2009 , 5:48am by too_nice_to_slice

too_nice_to_slice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
too_nice_to_slice Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 4:46am
post #1 of 6

Ok, so my husband's company does a HUGE swanky event for Easter Seals every year, and this year, the organizing couple (the owner of the company and his wife) had seen my cakes and decided they want me to do one for this event. Great so far.

But now the event is at the end of this month, and I still haven't heard anything more from anyone. My mother in law (who also works for the company and coordinates some things for the event) was kind enough to tell me that they need 450 servings and their theme is peacock, Other than that, it's at my creative discretion. I've heard nothing from the hosts as far as date and time or location (though I know date and location thanks to mother in law) not to mention no one's signed a contract, paid a deposit, or even agreed on a price for that matter. I hope they aren't thinking I'm doing it pro-bono... Today they sent a form to fill out with my health department license info, etc. for the hotel.

I've already sent an email to the boss's wife with no response. So how do I go about getting all this cleared up with the event not but three weeks away? I mean in my wedding order form, it states final decisions must me made no later than a month before the event, but since this is for charity and I know they haven't looked into anyone else to do it (not to mention it'll be a good opportunity to get my name out to the big wigs in town, and a hefty chunk of change) I definitely want to bake for this event. So, any advice?

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 4:51am
post #2 of 6

Can MIL kinda whisper in their ear, in a pretty loud whisper, that as far as you're aware, there is no cake booked ... if they want you to do it, someone needs to call you today (!). I mean, you've already sent an email ..... you may need a personal intervention on your behalf.

Or .... follow up with an email that says, "Since I havent heard from you, I am assuming you've made other arrangements for the cake."

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 4:59am
post #3 of 6

They faxed you a form???
Fax them your contract w/a cover sheet stating that you will return the form they faxed to you, as soon as your contract is returned with the deposit/payment.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 5:00am
post #4 of 6

Yeah, I would send another email, use MIL, or give a call saying that since you never got a reply you weren't sure you were supposed to do it but then you got the health dept. form and just wasn't sure.

I definitely would do some form of communication. Or you could call the lady and tell her you just wanted to find out the time the party starts and then ask her who is responsible for payment and that you need it now to order what is needed for the cake and that you will be sending over a contract.....

Although, you might not want to say that you thought they might have someone else, since you hadn't heard from them because they might think you are too busy to do it then...and go with someone else....just be careful with you wording!

Hmmmm....good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 5:06am
post #5 of 6

icon_redface.gif I missed the part where they sent you the form, so my suggestion of "....I haven't heard from you" would be a pretty dumb idea! icon_redface.gif

too_nice_to_slice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
too_nice_to_slice Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 5:48am
post #6 of 6

Ok, faxed them my contract and flavors & fillings list with a cover letter that just said I wasn't sure if they still wanted me, since I had no deposit or contract, but that I was assuming so now that I recieved the health dept. form, and that as luck would have it, icon_wink.gif I still have that date open if they would like to officially book it. I filled out the portions of the order form I could (i.e. price per serving, deposit amount, etc.) So we'll see what happens from here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%