Dairy Free Cake Recipes

Baking By chocomama Updated 6 Jan 2009 , 4:35am by chocomama

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 8

Any and all flavors would be great. I tried doing a search and couldn't find anything. (Is it just me or does that happen to anyone else?)

7 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 4:48am
post #2 of 8

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dairy+free+cake&aq=6&oq=dairy+free
Results 1 - 10 of about 525,000 for dairy free cake.

My searchFu is strong...

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:09am
post #3 of 8

I found this when I was searching for some dairy free mixes. Apparently some Duncan Hines mixes are dairy free.

http://www.keepingthecastle.com/ideas-for-using-dairy-free-cake-mixes

Be careful with icing recipes like Sugarshack's that call for non-dairy creamer. I haven't found any non-dairy creamer to TRULY be non-dairy. They have a milk protein in them called cassein. There are also many milk derivatives so make sure you are looking for these in any ingredients you use.

Good luck! [/u]

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 8

My daughter is milk allergic so I go through this all the time. I usually use either the Duncan Hines Classic Yellow or Devil's food for cake mix, which at the moment do not contain dairy (check the box, though, because for a while they changed the recipe and it had dairy and now it's back to dairy free). For my icing, I just subsitute Fleischman's unsalted margarine for the butter my recipe usually calls for. (Be careful with the Fleischmans, too. Only the green package "unsalted" is dairy free, lots of other margarines contain milk.) Also as a pp mentioned, there are other terms they use in the ingredient list like whey, casein, nonfat powdered milk, etc. Those all mean it contains milk protein.

You could also search Vegan recipes. I just bought a vegan cupcake book for my daughter that looks fantastic. The whole book is different cupcake recipes that don't contain any dairy (vegans don't eat dairy, among other things).

Good luck!

projectqueen Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 8

My daughter is milk allergic so I go through this all the time. I usually use either the Duncan Hines Classic Yellow or Devil's food for cake mix, which at the moment do not contain dairy (check the box, though, because for a while they changed the recipe and it had dairy and now it's back to dairy free). For my icing, I just subsitute Fleischman's unsalted margarine for the butter my recipe usually calls for. (Be careful with the Fleischmans, too. Only the green package "unsalted" is dairy free, lots of other margarines contain milk.) Also as a pp mentioned, there are other terms they use in the ingredient list like whey, casein, nonfat powdered milk, etc. Those all mean it contains milk protein.

You could also search Vegan recipes. I just bought a vegan cupcake book for my daughter that looks fantastic. The whole book is different cupcake recipes that don't contain any dairy (vegans don't eat dairy, among other things).

Good luck!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:28am
post #6 of 8

Great idea, projectqueen. I forgot about that. Vegan recipes will be dairy free. I'm not sure what book projectqueen was talking about but I have heard Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World is a fantastic cookbook.

projectqueen Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:35am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizatchgirl

Great idea, projectqueen. I forgot about that. Vegan recipes will be dairy free. I'm not sure what book projectqueen was talking about but I have heard Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World is a fantastic cookbook.

That's the one!!! I couldn't remember the title earlier but it looks great.

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:35am
post #8 of 8

Thank you, all! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%