Disaster With The Decorator

Decorating By kimster Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm by Caths_Cakes

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:37pm
post #31 of 77

I just had to jump in with my 2-cents worth! icon_smile.gif

I'm a guy, and when I had my business a few years ago I actually LOST weight. I found that I had no time for lunch and ran around so much that the pounds dropped off without me doing a thing. Now that I've been back in the 9-5 workplace and sit on my butt all day, I've gained about 25 lbs. and can't seem to drop it. I'm seriously thinking of quitting the 9-5 (though in this economy, quitting any job is ludicrous) and going back into some kind of manual labor just so I can lose the weight! lol icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:45pm
post #32 of 77

I have to say that when I made and sold home made chocolates, candy,fudge etc I never wanted to eat it. I never gained weight. I think just the smell of it all day was enough.
Even with the cakes and cookies, icing now I dont care to eat it. I try a sample of a new recipe and then forget about it. Plus its not like you can take a slice out of a cake that you have made for someone else and send it out with a piece missing!
Its like when I cook dinner by the time Im done Im really not hungry for it, thats why I like to eat out so much, Im ready to eat then !

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:46pm
post #33 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I have one too!...and oreos, and peanut butter, and, and OMG..lets pig out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Edna

Ufff mifffff gonfa smuuuuf! (Sorry, hard to talk with my mouth full of cookies and creme fluff! I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY!!!!) hehehe.

Cookieman, I totally get what you're saying. I really don't eat much of what I bake. It's for orders, so, ya know... you can't really eat that. My problem is that with all the recovery from having two c-sections I haven't gotten back into the work-out swing of things. And trying to keep up with these two... well... that doesn't leave much extra energy. But I'm thinking of 'letting' my DH get a Wii, because it has fitness games! Sounds like fun! But yes, sitting at that desk will do it to you. That happened to me too when I went from being a floor manager running like a headless chicken, to being a web programmer, sitting on my duff.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:49pm
post #34 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I have one too!...and oreos, and peanut butter, and, and OMG..lets pig out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Edna

Ufff mifffff gonfa smuuuuf! (Sorry, hard to talk with my mouth full of cookies and creme fluff! I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Share dammit!

Melvira Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:52pm
post #35 of 77

GET YOUR OWN!!!! Hehehehe.

Ok, here... *tossing a bowl of C&C fluff*

Oh... shoot... I'm so sorry... I thought you'd have a better catching arm than that... man, that wasn't a new blouse, was it? icon_lol.gif

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 11:17pm
post #36 of 77

I started decorating only in October but I have made tons and tons of cakes, cupcakes, cookies, truffles, chocolate, brownies, you name it. In all that, I am extremely proud to say that I have recently LOST 12 pounds and am back to being a size 5-7. BUT I am only 23 and 5'7, 150 pounds with a big booty lol. Anyway, I don't really have the desire to eat a lot of the stuff. My fav has always been brownies, but other than that, I'm not really into eating sweets, only making them icon_smile.gifI am sure a lot of you are so over exaggerating and I bet y'all are gorgeous!!!!

TASHA22284 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TASHA22284 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:18am
post #37 of 77

You know I know exactly what everyone is talking about...I don't eat much of my own cakes or desserts and I make a lot of them. But when I go somewhere (ie: out to eat, to the grocery store or where ever) if they have anything that looks interesting I buy it and eat it just to see what it tastes like and if I can make it myself. so needless to say since I have started cake decorating I have put on 20 lbs myself. I try to justify it by saying its a learning experience that is making me buy and eat and then re-make these desserts but my ever growing large butt and thighs just isn't having any sympathy. lol

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:45am
post #38 of 77
Quote:
Quote:

My problem is that with all the recovery from having two c-sections I haven't gotten back into the work-out swing of things. And trying to keep up with these two... well... that doesn't leave much extra energy.

Oh Melvira, I am so there! I've had 3 c-sections and used to be an avid exercise type person (what are those kind of people called?). It really wasn't fair either, I started caking when I was still nursing my baby so I didn't need to worry about the extras I was eating! But let's see, since I stopped nursing I believe I've packed on a good 18 lbs. I lost 5 of it just from MAKING myself not eat those scraps but OH MAN it's hard!!

Melvira Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:54pm
post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

...used to be an avid exercise type person (what are those kind of people called?).

Psychotic? In need of a hobby? Attractive? Stop me when I get to the right one! Heheheh.

kimster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimster Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:45am
post #40 of 77

icon_lol.gif I love hearing that I'm not alone! Well, thanks to the YMCA, hopefully I can curb the chub.

As for the stoning.... I cracked up icon_eek.gif oh how I miss those days.

Thanks for all the support (even those that wanted to smack me for whining about being a size 8.)

Lots of Love

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:16am
post #41 of 77

Oh, I feel your pain. I am happy at a size 10. I'm not a size 10 at the moment, but I don't believe it's the cake. I don't eat the cakes I make except on rare occasions. Usually I give them away. If I do eat it, it's just one piece and I only make cakes here and there. I'm not a steady baker, unfortunately. Two things add to my demise: a wonderful, healthy, happy relationship (finally!!) and a sit-on-my-butt-all-day job. Okay, three things: middle age spread. I don't eat any more now or any worse now (actually, probably better) than I did when I was younger. (I'm 42) For some darned reason, though, now it sticks! Oh well..........

Lisa

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:27pm
post #42 of 77

I'd be willing to bet that if we took an age survey, the younger we are the thinner. Of course if you're 20 you'll be smaller than you are when you get older! Regardless of how thin you are naturally, you're going to gain some weight as you get older, your metabolism just slows down regardless of what you do.

Even the kids I knew who were rail-thin in high school are now looking "normal" weight.

Eating a lot of cake doesn't help, either, but I prefer potato chips, and aren't those vegetables? icon_twisted.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:16pm
post #43 of 77

Maybe it's my size 12 butt talking, but I have a question...

In what Universe is a size 5 THREE sizes from an 8? Where I live, a 5 is a 5/6 and an 8 is a 7/8, therefore, you've only gone up ONE size. I mean, 1 is a lot better than 3, right? icon_biggrin.gif

I've never seen a 6/7 anywhere either. And brands that make sizes in single numbers do it either all even or all odd...I've never seen a brand that has a 5, 6, 7, and 8. It's either a 5 to 7 or a 6 to 8.

Or am I missing something?

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:39pm
post #44 of 77

around me the odd sizes are juniors and the even sizes are womens.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:41pm
post #45 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

around me the odd sizes are juniors and the even sizes are womens.

I've seen them all, in all kinds of departments. lol 5s, 6s, and 5/6s.

Either way, it's unfortunate the OP put on some weight, but I was just confused on the "three sizes" thing.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:19pm
post #46 of 77

I gained 75# with both of my kids, thanks to my lack of self control. The rest of me is okay, but my poor abs will never be the same. It's like a deflated, flabby, saggy balloon. I've found that if you show enough cleavage, nobody will notice the gut. icon_lol.gif I've been looking for a waist cincher/corset type thing to rein in my gut when necessary.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:38pm
post #47 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaranoel

I went to a cake convention and you can tell all the "professional" decorators - There weren't any skinny ones!

I guess skinny bakers/cooks can't be trusted!

As long as ya'll keep putting smiley's behind these comments I won't get offended.

Come on now. Those sayings are getting a little old. How many buttons would I push if I said, "She must be a great baker because she so fat" icon_biggrin.gif (does it make it better with the smiley?). We all know a dress size doesn't constitute how good of baker you are.

If you feel like you're gaining weight due to sampling, cut back. I don't sample everything I make because I make it based on a recipe and I know if I made it and tasted it the first 5 times, chances are it still tastes the same. If you really need to taste test, make your DH do it, so he can gain the weight (that's the other route I go).

I went up to a size 16 when I was pregnant with my twins (from a size 6) and the whole time I still thought I looked fabulous. When I started dropping the weight, I kept saying, "Still fabulous". You make or break how good you look. If you're on the pudgy side, WORK IT! You're as fabulous as you want to be.

Tita9499 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:45pm
post #48 of 77

PS: Where's my Bettercreme Melvira?

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:00pm
post #49 of 77
Quote:
Quote:

I went up to a size 16 when I was pregnant with my twins (from a size 6) and the whole time I still thought I looked fabulous. When I started dropping the weight, I kept saying, "Still fabulous". You make or break how good you look. If you're on the pudgy side, WORK IT! You're as fabulous as you want to be.

Amen! The truth is I'm happy with the size I am, BUT I have a long, beautiful gown I have to wear in June and it's a wee bit too tight. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't give a rip! (Although, I do know the return policy at the store and I can exchange if necessary, but I don't want to.)

What you said earlier was right on target. thumbs_up.gif

Lisa

Tita9499 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:10pm
post #50 of 77

Take a laxative two days before and you're golden!

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:23pm
post #51 of 77

OH MY GOD!!! I have to print this out and frame it!!

Golden!

Lisa icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:25pm
post #52 of 77

hey don't feel bad fell of the diet wagon got drug under and bogged down by fondant. ha ha ha ...
i worked hard for 2 years to lose 60lbs. gained it all back.. I have a hump
addiction... I love cake humps edges sides anything you can carve off a cake ha ha thats why u like to do sculpted cake... humps. I explained to my doctor that i have a hump addition... now he wants cake everytime i go in.then he don't complain about my weight...

just enjoy cake ......

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:52pm
post #53 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

I gained 75# with both of my kids, thanks to my lack of self control. The rest of me is okay, but my poor abs will never be the same. It's like a deflated, flabby, saggy balloon. I've found that if you show enough cleavage, nobody will notice the gut. icon_lol.gif I've been looking for a waist cincher/corset type thing to rein in my gut when necessary.

Katie's Millinery, Clothing & Hair email [email protected]. They have the best corsets in the business and beautiful colors. DH loves mine icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Tita9499 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:03am
post #54 of 77

I'd just wear one to look hot.

Melvira Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:45am
post #55 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

I have a hump addiction...

Sounds like she needs to get in on the laundry thread. Hehehehehehehe icon_redface.gif Sorry!

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:17am
post #56 of 77

Personally, I don't think I have gained weight from cake eating. Over the past 10 years I have gone from 90 pounds to 135 pounds. I'm 5'6" so I am still a healthy size and I do exercise almost daily. Yet it is still a struggle not to get bigger. I think it has a lot to do with age, genes, things we eat other than cake and just plain stress of life in general. As it is I don't really eat too much cake anymore, but I do have a serious chocolate addiction. If it weren't for my hours of cardio every week, I might not be able to make it through the door! But that addiction was there even when I weighed 90 pounds and desperately wanted to gain some weight. It never happened until I started getting older. I'm 35 now and realizing that indeed, if my body were a car, I wouldn't buy it. Too much maintenance! Too much!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:38am
post #57 of 77

Sharon, I think there is a lot to what you say. My mom is 5'7" and was barely over 110, EVER, until she went on prednisone and she was in her mid-40's then. She was tall and lean and she is not fat at all, just a small belly. I, on the other hand, take after my dad, short and fat. I've always fought my weight but getting older and sitting in an office take a toll on me. When we go on vacation or I just take a week off, I always lose weight but then I go back to the office. I have to take it off now or I'm going to have to go on blood pressure medicine. So, wish me luck because I do NOT EVER want to go on blood pressure medicine.

SharonK1973 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:48am
post #58 of 77

Tracycakes ...
WOW! That is amazing! I had to take prednisone a while back too! It put everything out of whack for me! Never again! My doctor said that sometimes some people take over a year to completely get over it.
As for your situation, what I can suggest for you is the book: The ABs Diet. (A bright orange-colored book) It will change your life/lifestyle! Seriously. I am never into those kinds of books, but this one was more than just a diet book! Its information that can save a life!

SharonK1973 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:53am
post #59 of 77

ooooooh! I just noticed that Melvira and I share the same birthday!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:56am
post #60 of 77

All this is making me hungry! I'm getting a spoon and the bowl of buttercream from the fridge. Anyone want some?

This is too funny, I lost 60lbs when I threw my husband out, it was called "new men are going to see me naked" then cakes, and buttercream came into my life. My uncle asked me, oh I see you've been sampling quite a few of those cakes. I almost bitch-slapped the guy.

Ok..off to get my spoon, anyone? anyone?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%