Gum Paste Bought Or Make??

Decorating By momdalejr Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 10:56pm by have_your_cake

momdalejr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momdalejr Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:38am
post #1 of 5

I have never used gumpaste before, I would like to make roses and was told to use gumpaste over fondant that they would last longer. Any suggestions on making it or should I buy it already made? If not do you have a recipe for gumpaste. Thank you

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:02am
post #2 of 5

Hi, I haven't made gumpaste from scratch. But lot of members recommend Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe.

What I do is, I add 1/2 a teaspoon of CMC/ Tylose powder to 250g of fondant, and knead well. The other thing that you can do is, mix 50/50 store bought gumpaste and fondant.

HTH.

momdalejr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momdalejr Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you, I was told also to mix 50/50. I will try that..

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 2:38am
post #4 of 5

I buy CK's powdered gumpaste mix. I just add water, mix, wrap and let sit for a while. I can make up as little or as much as I need. I also knead in the dry powder to stiffen up fondant. Works for me, and since it's a dry powder, it lasts forever.

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 5

the scratch gumpaste recipe is pretty soft. Be sure to work in all the powdered sugar you can so it will be stiff enough to handle. I found it worked well for some flowers, and not for others. I preferred the texture of the Wilton GP mix to the homemade.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%