How Do I Price A Tapered And Sculpted Cake?

Decorating By morgnscakes Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 12:00pm by Sweet_Guys

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:58am
post #1 of 3

I have a bride that wants a cake that is tapered at the bottom. I know how to taper the cakes, but my question is..."how do I charge for it?" If it was a regular 3 tiered round cake, it would serve 170 something with the top tier, but of course the servings will be decreased since I have to taper the cakes. Below is a picture of how she wants it tapered.

Also, how do you figure out the servings for a sculpted cake? I've been doing birthday cakes and traditional style wedding cakes for a few years, but have recently been able to step up my game and start diving into more.

Any help would be appreciated. icon_confused.gif
LL

2 replies
kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:51am
post #2 of 3

Wow! Very pretty cake. I would probably just up your standard per serving price a little. It's not terribly much more work, so maybe $0.50 to $1 more per serving.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 3

I've read on here in other threads that you should charge per serving for the original un-cut cake....If you need cake to feed 50 and you know the cake cutting will take out 10 slices, then you should bake a sized cake for around 60+ and charge accordingly. That way, the extra money factors in all of your time, talent, and hard work.

HTH

Paul

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%