Wedding Cake Help For The Letters "q" And "u&

Decorating By korensmommy Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 11:52pm by korensmommy

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 5

Yes...you read correctly! My son's Kindergarten class is having a full blown wedding for the letters Q & U as part of a reading segment. (Here is some info if you're interested:http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/pdfs/155539.pdf)

I volunteered to make the wedding cake (9-6-3 round, stacked) and am stumped for ideas. Here is what I have so far but open to all suggestions:
*fondant Q & U toppers, with a veil and bowtie, similar to the ones on the
above website
*small fondant q & u's on the cake
*a few "qu" words around the sides of the cake in white

Anyone else have any creative, Kindergarten-type ideas??
Thanks!

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 5

that sounds pretty good to me! have they done anything on colours? then maybe you could use those ones.
how about q and u travelling in planes, boats, trains - i guess thats handy if they have done any transport recently!
or, are they old enough to be playing junior scrabble? you could always switch to that for showing the words.
xx

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 5

I saw one a long time ago on this site and haven't been able to find it since. I think I would just put a ribbon on the bottom of each tier and put the words all over the cake using the same color as the ribbon. The toppers that you mentioned sound cute.

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 5

I used to teach school, so I'm familiar with this stuff. Although, at the time, I wasn't making cakes, so I didn't get the chance to do something really cool like this!
I love the ideas of the Q & U in a veil and bow tie. Have you though about adding little fondant things around the sides, like a quilt, umbrella, etc??
How fun! Please post a picture when you finish it. Good luck.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the great ideas everyone! I just ran into his teacher today and she said the wedding won't be until April, but I will post a photo when I'm done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%