Cake From Serious_Cakes

Decorating By Frankyola Updated 2 Jan 2009 , 2:19pm by rocketmom1985

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 9:58am
post #1 of 17

Since I tasted the WASC I didn't want to make other kind of cake, I love the cake but since I love baking to I decide to try new recipes and I found serious_cakes recipe and I LOOOOOOOVE it, thankx serious_cakes for the recipe it is super delicious, moist, tasty icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif , I am sorry I am in shock because I just got my firs slice and I want to eat it all, thank you again. thumbs_up.gif , I just baked a Red Velvet Cake just to try it (new recipe icon_wink.gif ) but I have a problem a huge one. icon_redface.gif who is going to eat all this cake? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif , my husband was asking are you going to eat all those cakes? because baked 2 8 in. Red Velvet cake and 1 hello kitty 6 in. and 1 with the stand-up house pan (I got it yesterday icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ) and 1 12 in. square with serious_cake's recipe. I think they going to be for my neighbors again. icon_redface.gif , but I told my husband that my instructor from wilton told me that if I practice and practice I will improve my skills, and he said but practicing, practicing, cost me a lot money icon_mad.gif , (he was playing with me icon_wink.gif ) anyway I just want to share with you guys that I love serious_cake's cake. thumbs_up.gif

Sorry I am so exited but I love it. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

P.S. I do not sell my cakes and I need to practice so I just give them to my neighbors or family. icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 17

Awesome!! So glad you liked it! lol-I know how you feel, I've given a lot of cakes away because I needed the practice!! icon_biggrin.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 17

Yes - that recipe is one of the only scratch's I use. I made one a few days ago and substituted the flavoring with a Baileys Creme that had a slight touch of caramel flavor. Yummm!!

I have the same problem you do. I don't sell cakes or accept money for ingredients - whenever someone asks me to make a cake I jump on it as I need the practice and love doing it. I've done dummies but I prefer to work with cake.

Does anyone give away their cakes. I've contacted firehouses, charities, local schools, etc... and no one will accept my cakes - maybe I look like a crazy woman and they think I'm trying to poison someone icon_rolleyes.gif - Sometimes I end up throwing the cake away (I used to give them to my doormen but they run away when they see me and a cake box heading their way icon_wink.gif )

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 17

Would love to check out this recipe, serious cakes. Where can I find it?
Thanks!

SeriousCakes Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 17

I have a local bookstore that gets a cake from me every few months. I asked then awhile ago if they'd help me out and be my guinea pigs and they were ecstatic! I can try out new flavors, new ideas, etc and they get a free cake. The one woman there is really cool, she gives me a full review of what she thought (always loves it) right down to moistness factor icon_lol.gif
I also made one for our pediatricians office a year ago, probably will do it again this year, just to say thanks. Have you contacted a local nursing home? They might be up for one....

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks for the heads up! I'm always looking for great recipes! I will have to go pull those up and start trying them!

Happy New Year!!

SeriousCakes Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 17

I have the recipe posted here:
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7267-4-Easy-Yellow-Cake.html
And here's a video showing how I make it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYQ-dryteww&feature=channel_page

It's my base cake recipe, I used it this week as an Orange Spice cake (idea from sayhellojana). I swapped out the vanilla, used 1 1/2 tsp. orange extract, 1/2 tsp. rum extract, the zest from one orange, and a dash of cloves and cinnamon. I also use it to make a coconut cake, raspberry chocolate chip, lemon, etc. thumbs_up.gif

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 17

I just had to smile when I read these posts because I could've written them. I need practice badly and there aren't enough birthdays, etc., for me to do it. I give my cakes away, too. My fiance said something about the money aspect, also, which he is absolutely right. It's getting expensive. I've only made scratch cakes as I'm trying different recipes to see what I like. On each cake I try a new buttercream and a new cake recipe. I have a cake to make for next week for my boss and the secretary at work. It's going to be one cake for both because their birthdays are only one day apart. I've been brainstorming on what to do and most of my ideas would be done with fondant (which I have never tried) and I'm not going to "try" it on a cake that I really want to be special. I'd rather try that on something I can hide away at home if it is awful.
Just wanted to say, yea, I feel your pain! My fiance works at a huge plant and I can always send cakes to work with him. He's also a fireman and they'll eat it, too.
My future MIL did take me aside, though, on their last visit and say, "Dear, you are going to have to stop making these cakes," because we've both gained a few pounds. Guess what? It's not the cakes. They don't stay here. It's the relationship, I guess. You know how you get complacent/relaxed and gain a few once you get into a relationship?
Even if it were the cakes............that's not happening!

Lisa

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks, Serious Cakes for the recipe. It will be the cake for next week. Your orange sounds delicious. You know, before I got into this I was pretty, how should I say, "vanilla." I only liked basic cake and it better have chocolate icing. Well, I still love my chocolate icing, but now I enjoy trying the different flavors and coming up with new things. (It's about time!)

What icing did you put with the orange? Also, I can't remember the post exactly, but I think there was a raspberry flavor. Sounds good, too. Sometimes I think about making a banana cake and putting chocolate icing on it. Normally I would put some type of cream cheese or something on it. What do you think about the chocolate? Hey, we could start a new thread.........."What goes with what??"

Lisa

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 17

What can I say ? YOU ARE HOOKED, just like the rest of us........ icon_lol.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:46pm
post #11 of 17

Our church is always in need of money. So, last year around Easter time, I wrote a thing in our newsletter, offering to bake for people. I'd keep the money to cover the ingredients, then the rest of the $ went to the church. I had so many orders, you wouldn't believe it!!! I did pies, cookies, cakes and homemade yeast rolls. This would be a good idea if you wanted to practice your skills, and people loved that the church was getting money. I forget now how much $ went to the church, but it was like $300+. Just an idea -- I might do it again this year, since our church is STILL broke!!!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Yes - that recipe is one of the only scratch's I use. I made one a few days ago and substituted the flavoring with a Baileys Creme that had a slight touch of caramel flavor. Yummm!!

I have the same problem you do. I don't sell cakes or accept money for ingredients - whenever someone asks me to make a cake I jump on it as I need the practice and love doing it. I've done dummies but I prefer to work with cake.

Does anyone give away their cakes. I've contacted firehouses, charities, local schools, etc... and no one will accept my cakes - maybe I look like a crazy woman and they think I'm trying to poison someone icon_rolleyes.gif - Sometimes I end up throwing the cake away (I used to give them to my doormen but they run away when they see me and a cake box heading their way icon_wink.gif )

Well you don't want to call them because they can't see you....just show up at the Firehouse with a pretty cake and some business cards and they will smile and accept!

I donated a cake to a children's hospital oncology ward last year....a friend of mine had a baby girl spend most of her little short life there. Anyway the nurse was SO suspicious of me and didn't really want to answer my questions when I called ahead...but as soon as I said my friend's little girl's name (whom they all knew and loved and doted on, as she was the "baby" of the ward) she immediately relaxed and said to come on in!

If you look professional when you bring in your sample cakes, most people will be very happy with a donation.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 1:26am
post #13 of 17

I give most of mine away or I took them to work. I took classes for two years straight, that's a lot of cakes. I gave them to the schools, fire and police departments. People I met at the coffee shop (seen a customer their a lot) He's even ordered a couple. Work was getting sick of them though. Bus garages, I live between two districts so I was able to give some to the other schools but I didn't do that often. Just drop them off at the office with cards and tell them to enjoy.

SeriousCakes Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 1:40am
post #14 of 17

IcedTea4Me2-I just used my vanilla buttercream but it absorbed some of the orange flavor from the cake, you would have thought I flavored the bc. I definitely think the chocolate bc would taste awesome with banana but I've used my regular bc for that too, tastes kind of like the 'Banana Flips' I used to eat growing up-YUM! icon_biggrin.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 10:14am
post #15 of 17

IcedTea4Me2-My ex(and thank god for that)MIL said to me recently that all the cake stuff is fine, but you shouldn't eat anymore of them, you're getting a little....thick......OMG! Hello, none of the cakes except one in November was for my daughter's birthday, even stay here! Yeah, I may be a little...thicker these days, but yes it's from being settled happily and not with her son!(Thanking god for that too!)

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 2:08pm
post #16 of 17

Gerripgje, good for you! I'll take being happy and a little "fluffy" any day over being miserable and skinny. I ate my first piece of cake since Lord knows when last night. I made one just for us last night and we enjoyed it. That's a rarity, though.

Lisa

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 2:19pm
post #17 of 17

I could have written any one of the messages above regarding needing practice and now everyone I know avoids me like the plague! icon_lol.gif

I finally put a free ad on a site called Kijiji.com for my area locally and just got a response for a birthday cake. I am not licensed and don't plan to be, but I need practice! I'll let you all know what happens with the ad.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%