Dipping Cake Balls!

Decorating By SueW Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 12:09pm by Deb_

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:48am
post #1 of 25

OK, so I am having trouble dipping ANYTHING in chocolate these days. No matter what I try to dip it falls apart and crumbs get everywhere. I tried eggnog cake balls tonight and when I went to dip them crumbs went all over and they fell apart. What am I doing wrong? What tool do you use to dip.

On sort of another note what is the deal with cake balls? I try so hard to love them like so many others BUT all they taste llike to me is mushed baby food/cake. Please help!

24 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:53am
post #2 of 25

I agree with you. I don't enjoy the taste or texture of cake balls. I used crumbled up cake and mixed it with creamcheese to get them to keep their shape. After a somewhat successful dip in chocolate, I thought they tasted mushy and very sweet - never made them again.
Although your egg nog cake sounds yummy!

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:55am
post #3 of 25

it seems to be hit or miss with me for dipping things in chocolate,but, as far as cake balls I LOVE them.

Ive tried them using box cake and canned frosting ( which im normally not a fan of canned frosting) and it worked great when I didnt use the entire tub of frosting.

Then I read on CC someone used liquid coffee creamer instead of frosting and OMG it was delicious!! If I recall correctly, I used chocolate cake and dulce de leche creamer by Int'l Delight.

Ive tried numerous combinations depending on what the girls have in the fridge at work for their creamer.I dont drink milk, but since I share the cake balls with them, they encourage me to take some home and even love trying new flavors.

HTH............Jess

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:56am
post #4 of 25

Pop the mixture in the fridge or freezer to firm it up a bit before dipping. That may help...I use the candy dipping set from Hobby Lobby.
And....I don't care for them either!! To much trouble to get them perfect! Just give me a slice of cake!!

Happy Caking

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:33am
post #5 of 25

you have to make sure you have enough liquid/frosting to bind cake together, sometimes fine line to not make to mushy. I also freeze mine and then poke with toothpick when ready to dip. sometimes the toothpick will come out, but it sure make s them easier for dipping. But freezing is a must, works so well this way.

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 25

I mix my cake scraps with some creamer/liqueur/coffee, etc. Whatever liquid I want to use to bind them (I add a little at a time so it is not mushy) and then I roll them and bake them till drier on the outside. I then use a toothpick to dip in chocolate ganache. This baking seems to help with the texture and creates a little "crust" which helps keep them from falling apart.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:08am
post #7 of 25

In my opinion, I think when people have mushy cake balls, they have added to much creamer or icing. To one mix, I use about 1 - 2 T. of icing. That's all you need if you are starting out with a nice moist cake. The filling should be dense like a choc. covered brownie. I mix until it holds together and roll into balls, then dip. I use a coil like dipping stick, they would GREAT!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 25

[quote="SueW"]OK, so I am having trouble dipping ANYTHING in chocolate these days. No matter what I try to dip it falls apart and crumbs get everywhere. "

Sounds like you have a very moist cake - maybe cut back on the cream cheese. I don't like my cake truffles too large - they are too rich. Firming them up in the fridge for an hour (as suggested by jlsheik) helps.

Good luck!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 25

My son says cake+icing cake balls taste like regurgitated cake and no one has argued with that!

I mix my crumbled cake with a couple teaspoons flavoring (extract, liqueur, etc.) then melted chocolate. No icing or creamer. Ick.

Then, I roll them TIGHTLY and chill them before using a small bamboo skewer to dip them in more chocolate.

They taste like the love child of a fudge brownie and a truffle. Mmmmm!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

They taste like the love child of a fudge brownie and a truffle. Mmmmm!

LOL-sounds delightful! icon_biggrin.gif

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:12pm
post #11 of 25

I don't use frosting-it makes the cake balls too sweet for me. I use coffee creamer, liquer, or preserves. I then use the wilton dipping utensils (open spoon and fork type thing). Then I dip in the dark chocolate wilton candy melts. (I think the dark choc. seems less sweet.) The trick, I think, is to roll the ball tightly. I can never make enough. People literally beg me to make them. One favorite of my family is choc. cake with maraschino cherry juice for binder and chopped cherries.

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:55am
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianocat

I don't use frosting-it makes the cake balls too sweet for me. I use coffee creamer, liquer, or preserves. I then use the wilton dipping utensils (open spoon and fork type thing). Then I dip in the dark chocolate wilton candy melts. (I think the dark choc. seems less sweet.) The trick, I think, is to roll the ball tightly. I can never make enough. People literally beg me to make them. One favorite of my family is choc. cake with maraschino cherry juice for binder and chopped cherries.

the choc/cherry sounds sooo good!

Daisy135 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy135 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:12am
post #13 of 25

Have to second the advice already given...I don't like using icing b/c it tastes too sweet but you can come up with some great combos using varieties of cake and flavored coffee creamers. Freezing cake balls before dipping is also a key to making the process easier. GL!

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:51pm
post #14 of 25

Sounds like you need to play around w/your liquid/icing that you're adding. Either its too much or not enough. I mix my truffles by hand so I can feel the consistency. I usually do not put much icing/liquid. Just enough to make a ball. I use just a regular spoon to dip. Make sure that the spoon isnt cold.

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:31pm
post #15 of 25

I have discovered an enexpensive tool for cake balls....a plastic fork with the center teeth removed. Yep best professional tool I have found yet for dipping cake balls !!!! icon_lol.gif

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 9:03am
post #16 of 25

I know this is an old post and I dont know if youll read this or not lol.
But I am the cake ball queen and I sell cake balls from my home.
No matter what your recipe says, freeze your cake balls SOLID before dipping. What I do is after I roll them, I stick a toothpick in each and freeze for a good 3-4 hours. THEN dip them. they will be hard like a rock and wont fall apart, and the cold of the cake ball with harden the chocolate around it instantly! for even better results, freeze the plate youre gonna lay them on after dipping.
They thaw very quickly so only take a dozen or so out at a time.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 9:43am
post #17 of 25

Wow!! There's so many good ideas here. I made cake balls the other day and I thought it would be the last time as they tasted like uncooked cookie mixture. But now I'll have to give them another go. thumbs_up.gif

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:59am
post #18 of 25

Check out Bakerella.com Her cake balls are AMAZING and she does all kinds of shapes, sizes etc..... I did the little cupcake cake balls that are SO cute, in my gallery..... She gives step by step instructions on how to do them. LOVE HER!!!! In case the web site doesnt show up here it is with spaces:

b a k e r e L L a . c o m

good luck! Oh, has anyone tried the oreo cake balls - OH MY!!!!!

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:40am
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueW

On sort of another note what is the deal with cake balls? I try so hard to love them like so many others BUT all they taste llike to me is mushed baby food/cake. Please help!

i actually like them better if I re-bake them and get a little crust on the outside!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:59am
post #20 of 25

Great ideas on here! You can also use liquor to add some interesting flavors. Our family loves the jagermeister ones.

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:01pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersoave

Check out Bakerella.com Her cake balls are AMAZING and she does all kinds of shapes, sizes etc..... I did the little cupcake cake balls that are SO cute, in my gallery..... She gives step by step instructions on how to do them. LOVE HER!!!! In case the web site doesnt show up here it is with spaces:

b a k e r e L L a . c o m

good luck! Oh, has anyone tried the oreo cake balls - OH MY!!!!!

I made bekerella's red velvet cake balls last week. They were so yummy! I have tried the Oreo cake balls last year-- delicious!!

I like ski's idea with the plastic fork-- I am going to try that.

kss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kss Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:47am
post #22 of 25

I found the article on CC last year and tried cake balls, my family & friends just love them! I freeze them for an hour or so before I dip them, using hot dog tongs, aslong as their frozen well, it works great

I also like ski's idea with the plastic fork with the middle tines missing, and will give em a try icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm
post #23 of 25

I've never made cake balls, but just had a request for 150 "brownie pops", have any of you ever made these? I'm thinking it's along the same idea as cake balls except you use brownies?

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:12pm
post #24 of 25

try Bakerella.com she has some great ideas and possibly some brownie balls too.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:09pm
post #25 of 25

Thanks gingersoave, that's a great site........off to go do some reading!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%