Special Request From My Fil - Help!

Decorating By janebrophy Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 9:57pm by lesleyanne

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:55am
post #31 of 35

I definitely know what you mean. Mine are 9, 6, and 18 months - at least in my case the older 2 can help with my youngest a bit - when they're not busy causing trouble themselves LOL. When I try this technique it will have to be after bedtime, maybe a little on the weekend.
They are going stir crazy today, they've been home since 12/19 and stuck in all this week because all have a cold and my oldest gets asthma flare ups when he has a cold. He's just slowing down on the coughing today. He's dying to go play outside but still coughing when he gets wound up so he can't yet.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:19am
post #32 of 35

Boy do I know what you mean! I can't wait for school to start up again! They've had a really gross cold since just before Christmas, they pass it from one to the next! My youngest two are "allergic" kids, and we're told they have a high chance of developing asthma, so I'm paranoid whenever I hear a cough! LOL! Definitely need some more outside time!

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 10:09am
post #33 of 35

http://www.recipes2share.com/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=98&Itemid=93

Here is a good link for victoria sandwich with pictures. A traditional victoria sandwich is very light and fluffy so you will need to make a slightly denser cake if you want to cover it.
Hope it goes well.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:48pm
post #34 of 35

I think you are talking about Royal Icing, Like someone said in some parts of the world, they still use it sorry don't remember her name Yes We do Even in America Most West Indian Bakers still use it.

I am from Guyana Originally, and the only Icing That I known that is used for cakes is Royal Icing, It is Used Widely On Wedding Cakes, and all Cakes But We Use Egg Whites Not Meringue, and yes you do Flavor it.

It also does not dry as hard as the Royal Icing Here In America Dries, but the Climates are very different Cold VS Hot. And Even Though I have lived here for 20 years I know that they still use it. And Before I started making Cakes I ordered from a lady who made cakes with them also. You maybe to play around with it to get the consistancy you need it still dries hard, but not rock, hard like when we make flowers, and when you cut the cake it is moist at the bottom, but they also spread almond paste on the cakes before they decorate them, be careful if you try to use egg whites because they can become very runny, you can still use meringue but put less than what the recipe calls for maybe the next time you want to try this you can use this HTH.

lesleyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesleyanne Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 9:57pm
post #35 of 35

the british sugarcraft guild reccommend a high density sponge...a link to the recipe..its beautiful to the taste

http://bsguk.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7958

Lesley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%