Men...grrrrrr

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 30 Dec 2008 , 10:03pm by Doug

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 87

LOL, OK so i was finishing up a cake today for an 18th birthday party and was all pleased with how it was going, i had put green stripes on the bottom tier and was putting pink stars down the stripes when my husband walks in and just stares at it and doesnt say anything... im like - well isnt it nice? and he says "well do you not think it looks a bit...um....military??" AHHHHH so all i can see now when i look at it is some sort of Communist army stripe so i had to rip off all the stars and put a pink stripe down instead but i cant get the military comment out of my head! even though i love the cake now i have this military vision every time i look at it!

The funny thing is, the cake i loathed and hated beyond all others and wouldnt even take a picture of, my husband thought was great!!!

Grrrrrrrrrr..... and he keeps pointing out that my balls arent exactly even and round.....OCD anyone??

Rant over - lol icon_smile.gif
LL

86 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 87

Military?? Where does that come from? I sure don't seen *anything* military about this. I see a well done, pretty cake.

Cathy26 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 87

I KNOW!! i didnt either, but when the stars were running down the green stripes my hubby said that the stripes looked like an old style army stripe from the war so i took them off - sometimes i wonder why i married him - lol icon_rolleyes.gif

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 87

Don't worry.. it doesn't look military at all to me. I work on a Navy Base for the government and just showed a few people. They think it's very girly.. I wouldn't put the word "military" and "very girly" together... So i think you're safe!

The cake looks GREAT.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 87

1. That cake is wicked adorable and functionally perfect.
2. Let him know his balls haven't been even or perfectly shaped for years. icon_razz.gif

Fantastic work... love it, love it!

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

1. That cake is wicked adorable and functionally perfect.
2. Let him know his balls haven't been even or perfectly shaped for years. icon_razz.gif

Fantastic work... love it, love it!

LMAO Melvira!!

I love the cake! Balls and all!

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 87

I think it is super cute and i love the colors you did a great job. My husband does the same thing to me and than he gets me all worried, sometimes his comments work out for the best and other times i want to punch him in his face...and tell him if he thinks he can so do a better job to go for it...lol....but on the other hand he makes me better my self in the things i do. You think husbands are hard to impress try impressing kids now they are tough...lol... thumbs_up.gif

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 87

Who sais those balls around the cake must be even? It doesn't look militarylike at all. Well done. (my husband always criticises my work too, very rarely hear a compliment from him, so I feel your pain icon_lol.gif

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 87

I think its beautiful!!! Some people just see things differently. I think its beautiful!!

NuttyNanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NuttyNanny Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 87

I LOVE this cake and you did a FANTASTIC job and it definitely doesn't look military to me!!!!! Let him make some balls and see how even they all are...lol!

Melvira....ROTFLMAO...you crack me up!!!!

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 87

I think your cake looks absolutely beautiful. The birthday girl's going to love it!

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:22pm
post #12 of 87

Melvira- You crack me up!! icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif

Great cake by the way. Very cute.

Melvira Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:29pm
post #13 of 87

I do what I can guys. icon_biggrin.gif

cakedecr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedecr8r Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:34pm
post #14 of 87

Beautiful cake. Maybe just because he sees stars and stripes, he thinks military. Who knows?

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:39pm
post #15 of 87

It's probably just the "stars and stripes" thing. I think it looks great! icon_smile.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:41pm
post #16 of 87

Maybe a "don't ask don't tell" military? There's no way that a cake in those colors would be classified as military, at least not by Army standards.
I love the cake, and I think it's perfectly shaped!
Thank God my DH knows better. I could sneeze on a cake that I dropped on the floor in a 110 degree kitchen covered in moldy fondant with dog food decorations and my hubby would still say "it's so beautiful!"...wait, maybe that's not a good thing.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:42pm
post #17 of 87

melvira.. hahahahahehehehehehehehe!! That is so something I would have said too!!

Anywhoo, the cake is super cute and looks fab. I was in the military for 4 years and see nothing military about it... I think it is precious!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:42pm
post #18 of 87

Ah! How funny! I guess he though the green was kinda army-ish, and then the stars......BUT I would have NEVER EVER though army in a million years! It is beautiful-don't worry, the army issue won't come into anyone else's mind.

Cathy26 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:27pm
post #19 of 87

thanks guys, i guess your right some people just see things differently, he still doesnt think its my best cake but i really love it! i guess the green and stars and stripes just made some military connection with him but i know the customer will love it and im happy so thats all that matters!!

as for the balls, they really upset him - he hates all cakes with balls and keeps thinking up ways of getting them perfect.... melon baller, cutting them out with cutters, etc. it doesnt bother me but it gives him sleepless nights!!

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:34pm
post #20 of 87

LOL! Well, I guess the alternative could be a husband that couldn't care less what your cakes looked like.

Cathy26 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:50pm
post #21 of 87

lol yeah, im glad he does take an interest even though we disagree - if he perfects the ball thing il let you guys know!!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:57pm
post #22 of 87

LOL....I thought I had the only husband who did this. "How's it look hun?" He says after a long pause. "Well what are you going to do with this part over here." GRRRRRrrr

Never would have though "military" in a million years, but now that he mentioned it, it maybe, in a far off distant planet sort of way....but not really....only if you've been sleeping with a flag over your bed for several years...maybe has a slight military or independance day look. But I never would have initially though of that.

Of course, you are asking the person who designed her own backyard, and it wasn't until about a year after the cement had been done, lawn in, all finish that I realized it the lawn was shaped like a......well, I guess you could say "key" or male body part. Whoops! My husband swears I'm the only one who thinks that.

Anyway, the cake is lovely and perfect for an 18th birthday. Good job!

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:04pm
post #23 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy24

Grrrrrrrrrr..... and he keeps pointing out that my balls arent exactly even and round.

Are his? LOL Tell him to chill out!

The cake is beautiful!

Melvira Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:13pm
post #24 of 87

Ok, am I the only one that desperately wants to see tinygoose's back yard now??? icon_redface.gif

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:13pm
post #25 of 87

I have read great tips on the smaller pearls and how to make sure they are uniform. Roll out with the guides on your roller so your fondant is an even thickness. Cut small circles with one of your icing tips, or even your small circle cutters. Cut out everything you need. Since the fondant will all be the same thickness, your pearls should all be the same size...

That aside, there is nothing wrong with your pearls. They are perfect for the style of cake that you have made. It is a fun and funky cake and so the pearls should be fun and funky too. Sometimes too precise is just boring.

Tell hubby if he wants uniform pearls, he needs to make them all himself!!

Melvira Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:14pm
post #26 of 87

Ok, am I the only one that desperately wants to see tinygoose's back yard now??? icon_redface.gif

bizatchgirl Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:14pm
post #27 of 87

duplicate post

Melvira Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:15pm
post #28 of 87

Sorry... duplicate post on my part.

bizatchgirl Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:15pm
post #29 of 87

duplicate post

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:27pm
post #30 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

LOL Melvira, you are a crack up. It would have to be an aerial shot to really appreciate my design. I wonder if it raises or lowers my property value? Could you imagine seeing that on the disclosure papers?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%