A Couple Of Questions About Fruit Cake

Decorating By pumpkinroses Updated 28 Dec 2008 , 9:26pm by -K8memphis

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 4

I made this recipe for a light fruitcake about 2 weeks ago and put it immediately in the fridge covered with the cheesecloth and foil.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,186,145171-225205,00.html

I just noticed that it says to store in cool place for 1 week. Is this because it doesn't use candied fruit? Should I make another one? I supposed to give it as a gift sometime this week.

My other question is if I do make another one can I just leave out the dates or should I replace them with something? The grocery store in my town either doesn't carry them or is currently out.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Nikki

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 4

I'm sure it's fine.

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for your help. Are you saying the one I already made should be fine or to rebake without dates should be fine?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 4

The one you have should be fine.

If you should re-bake I think I'd add something else in place of the dates. Like dried apricots, apples or cherries or something like that. I would soak them in liquour myself or plump them in some fruit juice, microzap it in the microwave--something like that.

That's what I would do. I think 8 oz of dates is too big a hole to leave in the formula don't you think? It would be great with any of those other dried fruits.

Wonder what it would be like to sub with strawberries? mmm

But so long as you haven't been storing smoked fish and onion confite in your frige the first one you made should be fine.

[highfive]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%