Can I Fix This??

Decorating By too_nice_to_slice Updated 27 Dec 2008 , 7:46am by Frankyola

too_nice_to_slice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
too_nice_to_slice Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 1:59am
post #1 of 10

Ok, so I tried to use Wilton's silver pearl dust on cornflower blue fondant this afternoon, and something's not right. First I tried dusting it on dry with a blushtype brush, but none of it stayed on the fondat, it just flew all over. So I read somewhere in the forums here that I could mist the cake lightly with water, then try to dust it on like I was, but now it looks wet and sticky and the pearl dust is all chunky and weird. So can I salvage this?? Or should I just give up and start over? Though I would hate to do that because this cake is for Sunday and I'm going to be gone a majority of the day tomorrow.

9 replies
CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:08am
post #2 of 10

You do have a mess, huh... sorry bout that icon_sad.gif First, I would take some vodka or everclear, if you can get it, and a soft flat art brush, and go over the cake and see if you can remove the clumps and dust off the cake.. Clean it up, so to speak. If that works, go to a cake shop and get some good pearl dust, mix it with some vodka, and paint the whole cake(I am assuming that you do not have an airbrush??).... I don't have any other advice.. good luck! icon_smile.gif Maybe someone else might have an idea too..

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:11am
post #3 of 10

Lol... been there done that! Okay, something similar happened to me. Try this... try taking a clean brush wet with water... and brush the luster dust until the chunks go away...(keep your brush wet and clean) it will still have the shimmer Let it dry (will take awhile) and then when it is dry, go back over it with dry dust. Do you happen to have an airbrusher?

too_nice_to_slice Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:15am
post #4 of 10

I'll try and see if I can get this cleaned up. I asked for an airbrush kit for Christmas, so we'll see what happens tomorrow icon_cool.gif Atleast I haven't put the bow on yet, so even if I do have to pull the fondant off and start over, I can still use it.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:35am
post #5 of 10

Yikes....sorry that happened. I don't have a solution but just wanted to say that I tried it to....That Wilton pearl dust is the pits. I get the Luster dust from our local cake decorating store. No more Wilton.

too_nice_to_slice Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:50am
post #6 of 10

I got it in my stocking, along with gold and pearl... oh well,now I know and next time I'll stick with good luster dust. Now I'm off to deal with this catastrophy. Ugh, This was totally supposed to be just a simple square present cake.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:52am
post #7 of 10

My idea was the vodka too....good luck!

too_nice_to_slice Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 3:14am
post #8 of 10

Well, I got the chucks cleaned up with just a wet brush, but it still looks wet and shiny. I guess I can deal with it and just do the same to the bow that goes on it so it looks like it was supposed to be that way lol.

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 4:26am
post #9 of 10

A coat of dry luster dust should take the "wet" look away a bit

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 7:46am
post #10 of 10

Ditto what dellboi2u thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%