Making Icing Level And Buttercream Blowout

Decorating By sk8gr8md Updated 15 Jan 2007 , 4:31am by bonnscakesAZ

sk8gr8md Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sk8gr8md Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 4

Grrr!! How do you guys get such level tops on your BC cakes? My cakes are level, but always end up with a hump in the middle when I ice them. I love BC Dream, but it doesn't crust so I've been doing a hot spatula on the top lately in tandem with a spackle knife around the sides. It's really hard to keep myself from going overboard trying to fix the icing. I have the tendency to worry it to death and messing it up in the end.

Also, I've been trying really hard to fix my buttercream blowout problem. Last weekend I had a room temp cake that I iced and then crumbcoated. I threw it in the fridge for a bit to set the crumb coat. The cake looked great until I got to the shower and noticed a giant bubble right in front. Grrr! Today's cake (the latest in my photos) got a BC blowout before I even finished icing it (just a little one). This cake was at room temp. Unfortunately I'm not going to that party, so keep your fingers crossed!

Sorry to ramble . . . anyone have tips for either problem?

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know what equipment you have, but I use a turntable and a long ofset spatula. I hold the spat in place, level, extending past the middle of the cake. Spin the turntable while smoothing the top. Then I do the sides, and polish the top edge with a small spatual. HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 4:11am
post #3 of 4

Is your hump in the middle an air bubble type of thing? Are the cakes themselves nice and level before you start icing them?

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 4:31am
post #4 of 4

Have you tried using the icer tip to put the buttercream on? I started out doing it that way to make sure the buttercream was on even all over before trying to smooth and I think it really helped. Also about the airbubbles. I don't know what causes them, there are many theories but I only get them in the summer. Anyways a friend of mine said she tried using a hat pin and make a few little holes to let air vent and it stopped the bubbles. I started doing that as well and have not had any more bubbles. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%