A "cake Like Cookie"

Baking By goof9j Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 1:49am by -K8memphis

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 13

Someone just brought in some cookies that have a cake like texture but are cut outs also. They were not chewey but very soft. This person will not give out her recipe. Does anyone have any idea what these could be. They were so darn good. icon_rolleyes.gif

12 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 13

could it be the cake mix cookies? I saw a recipe floating around here somewhere, let me look around.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 13

Here you go:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=592691&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

there are several recipes here and one poster said that they do use cutters on them.

HTH

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 13

I have a killer recipe--family favorite--it's at home and I'm at work.
I'll post it tonight.

goof9j Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 13

thanks so much,

Happy Holidays

Jen

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 13

It goes without saying but I'll say it anyway--I'm almost 100% sure these are not the ones you had. icon_biggrin.gif These are just some real good ones that we love dearly.

I call them Connie's Cookies because she made me a plate of beautiful Christmas cookies once upon a time over 30 years ago and she gave me the recipe.

It can be halved or doubled. The cookies freeze beautifully.

3 eggs
3 cups sugar
1.5 cups shortening
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1.5 cups sour milk
8 cups flour

Y'know just cream the sugar & shortening, add the eggs, combine the powders add with the milk.

Mix cover & chill overnight.
Roll out & bake 350

I sour my milk with apple cider. You need a well floured board. These are kinda sticky but well worth the effort.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 13

k8memphis, thanks for the recipe!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 12:22am
post #8 of 13

Thanks for sharing the recipe! They sound great!

goof9j Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 1:20am
post #9 of 13

thanks for the recipe.

Jen

twinsmake5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsmake5 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 13

k8memphis --- we had a catered Christmas party at our house. The pastry chef brought some "lemon whoopie pies" that were a huge hit. The cookies had a soft texture - not like cake or cookie or cracker - more like a stale vanilla wafer ... soft!. She added a spritz of lemon curd, sandwiched the two cookies and dusted with powdered sugar. I want to make these! Does this sound like your recipe? (the chef would NOT share!) Thanks! becky

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:10pm
post #11 of 13

Have you guys ever tried "gooey butter" cookies? They are made with cream cheese and a butter yellow cake mix (other stuff too, don't have the recipe in front of me). Those get dusted with powdered sugar and have a very soft smooth texture. I've tried them with a chocolate cake mix too...soooooo good. I wouldn't see why you couldn't make them lemony!

twinsmake5 - were these cookies somewhat crackled on thier tops?

twinsmake5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsmake5 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 13

Don't remember any cracks - but they were dusted with sugar. I took them apart after the party to try to figure it out. There was little curd inside - I'm sure there was lemon zest in the cookie dough. Please post your recipe if you don't mind - thanks!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:49am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsmake5

k8memphis --- we had a catered Christmas party at our house. The pastry chef brought some "lemon whoopie pies" that were a huge hit. The cookies had a soft texture - not like cake or cookie or cracker - more like a stale vanilla wafer ... soft!. She added a spritz of lemon curd, sandwiched the two cookies and dusted with powdered sugar. I want to make these! Does this sound like your recipe? (the chef would NOT share!) Thanks! becky

Maybe? Yes I guess a stale meaning soft vanilla wafer--that would describe these. Like a softer, cakier lofthouse cookie. Those cookies you get at the grocery store that have a thick layer of icing on a real white soft cookie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%