Fbc Or Chocolate Transfer

Decorating By angiev77 Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm by tracey1970

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 3

Can anyone explain how to do a frozen buttercream transfer and a chocolate transfer? I need to make a cake with a the little mermaid on it and was trying to figure out how I should do it. I don't want to use the character pan that Wilton has. Any instructions would be appreciated!!!!!

2 replies
beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 3

Check out this site. This is how I learned.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

I've never done a chocolate transfer, so I can't help you there.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 3

I too have made a Little Mermaid cake using a FBCT - it's in my photos. I got the instructions from this site as posted above. The only things I would recommend, from having researched the heck out of them before I made mine, are to use plexiglass instead of a cookie sheet (I think that's what the article recommends?) and to keep a paintbrush handy for pushing around the icing to line up outlines and to smooth out any squiggly lines on the fill-in part. The plexiglass is awesome because you can see through it, and when you make a FBCT, you make it upside down (i.e. the side that will be facing UP on the cake is facing DOWN when you do the fbct). I did my first one on waxed paper on a cookie sheet, and when I flipped it onto the cake, there were lots of gaps, squiggly lines, etc. Now, I only use plexiglass, and I have even replaced waxed paper (which I found sometimes got wrinkly when freezing, putting wrinkles on the FBCt that are hard to get out once it's on the cake) with what we teachers call "overhead" sheets - clear acetate sheets, usually 8.5" x 11", unless I require an FBCT that's bigger. Plus, acetate is easier to see the design through than waxed paper, although not enough that I wouldn't use waxed paper if I need a larger FBCT.

So I tape my picture that I am tracing to the counter and I tape my acetate film to the plexiglass. I lay the plexiglass over the design and start outlining on the acetate sheet, making sure that if you pick up the plexiglass for any reason that you re-align it with the picture. When I get to the fill-in part, I do small areas at a time and constantly peek under the plexiglass to make sure there are no gaps between fill-in and outline and no squiggles in the fill-in icing. I fix those by pushing the icing around with a paint brush (for cakes only). I stick the entire thing in the freezer when done (plexiglass, acetate sheet with FBCT on it) to freeze. If I don't need it for a week or so, I will wait until the FBCT is frozen and then quickly wrap in a couple layers of saran and put back in freezer.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%