Substituting Icing Sugar For Granulated Sugar- Help Me Asap

Decorating By Rochelle1 Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 3:17am by Rochelle1

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 5

I only have Icing sugar and have an order for a cheese cake and Chocolate cake. Can i use icing sugar instead? It is measured in cups wouldn't it be too much sugar to change 1 cup sugar to 1 cup powdered sugar?

Thanks Rochelle

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 5

Cheesecake maybe will be ok but the regular cake is not gonna bake the same. Those crystals of sugar are important to the structure.

You need to go to the store.

Rochelle1 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 5

It is a all in one chocolate cake recipe with oil should it matter at all here?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 5

It matters if you are making a scratch cake with powdered sugar. If it's a box mix you don't need sugar, right?

Powdered sugar is used when you don't want much structure.

In a regular cake you need the structure.

In cheesecake you already have all the cheese and the eggs to hold things up and to hold things together. It will still be different though with the powdered sugar.

I don't know what "a all in one chocolate cake recipe with oil" is exactly. If you are substituting powdered sugar for granulated sugar your cake will be extra light in the texture department, maybe crumbly.

Rochelle1 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 3:17am
post #5 of 5

Would you believe I found enough for the chocolate cake? I did use the powdered sugar in the cheese cake and now it is not sweet enough however but it is passable. By the time the sweet filling goes on top it should create a balance.

Thanks again
Rochelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%