U Know Ur Hands Are Dry When...or Redneck Hand Lotion

Baking By shiney Updated 5 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm by DMCG

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 30

Okay, I'm a huge dork! I'm digging measuring cup into huge tub of shortening, and of course it's on my hands, and I just go to rubbing...Ahhhhhh.
Please don't tell me no one else has been tempted to do this. icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

29 replies
shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 30

Okay, now that everybody is completely grossed out...Let me be clear, I did completely and thoroughly wash my hands afterwards. Now they're dry again. icon_wink.gif

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 30

Never done it but know about dry hands. My hands get so dry this time of year that I have gloves on with lotion all the time when I'm not baking. When I am baking I have my other gloves on. My hands still crack and bleed.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 30

You know your hands are dry when

you can use them to sandpaper the wooden furniture!

(yea, I know it was corny!)

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 30

Not grossed out at all! My hands are totally dry right now too. I did 3 cakes this week, which for me is big. Plus cookies and fudge and chocolates. My cuticles are burning. And that dish soap with hand lotion does NOT work! lol. I love Nivea lotion, it does help. Just my suggestion icon_smile.gif

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 30

That's the best thing about fondant... covering your hands in crisco!

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 30

Oh, I thought I was the only one with bad hands. My hands and fingers crack and bleed and are so painful sometimes! I don't know if QV is available in the states but they do an intense moisturiser that is like vaseline but once put on absorbs easily. I have found this to help.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 30

I agree..when I work with fondant I dolove to put crisco in my hands! icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 30

Add me to the Dork Club....I too have done that, then at night put vasoline on since I didn't want someone to pop a french fry on me to start frying! I also only put vasoline on my mouth as well. Much better than chapstick!

higginspeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
higginspeg Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 30

When I was taking classes and working with fondant so much my hands were so much softer from using Crisco all the time. I find now that if I go long periods of time between working with fondant or gumpaste my hands dry out really bad. Gotta love the Crisco! My also try using oatmeal soap to was your hands and see if that helps. I have some I use in the shower during the winter when my skin is so dry and it does help sooth the skin. Also , if you have aloe vera, you might try using that as well. It's sticky, but it should help if you can stand it.

Sandy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy2008 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:03pm
post #11 of 30

Ok, now for one step beyond grossing out........When I had my infant son, the nurses would suggest using crisco grease as a "moisturiser" for a certain part of the female anatomy that got worn out by hungry babies....No further explanation necessary (my apologies to the men out there.)

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 30

Hey, Edna said she uses it as face cream and that's why she looks 22 and gorgeous. (Man, I hope she wasn't kidding... I'm thinking of trying it! Hahaha!)

Ok, you know your hands are dry when you make a fist and your skins rips like tissue paper, leaving thousand of tiny cuts that bleed. You know your skin is in bad shape when you put lotion on and it burns like fire. And I use hi-ratio shortening, so it's not really redneck lotion... it's more like expensive, exclusive baker lotion! thumbs_up.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:15pm
post #13 of 30

Oh, I am right there with you with the dry hands that get so bad they crack and bleed. Less than pretty (and painful to boot!) I have tried a mulitiude of lotions/creams and finally found one that actually works. The only downside is that it isn't cheap, but considering the pain I am in and the cracking getting worse when I close my hand around a pastry bag, this one splurge is worth it. It is the Beeswax Hand Cream (not the lotion - it doesn't work as well) made by the Savannah Bee Company. I get a 3.4 oz. size jar and use it only at night, right before bed, focusing on the back of my hands and knuckles. My hands really do heal overnight. I can make the jar last the winter (in am in VA) and it is worth the $13 as I really can't find anything else that works. You can find it online (Amazon, etc) and sometimes at Bath and Body Works. Like I said, expensive, but I have gone through so many other creams and lotions that just don't work. Maybe I should try Crisco as well. icon_biggrin.gif

Sandy2008 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:21pm
post #14 of 30

I took a look at your photos...Your cookies are absolutely beautiful! I haven't seen any look better. Excellent job!

Sandy2008 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:22pm
post #15 of 30

Opps....that was to TracyLH. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

SweetLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetLisa Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 6:55am
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy2008

I took a look at your photos...Your cookies are absolutely beautiful! I haven't seen any look better. Excellent job!

Tracy LH, I agree, your cookies are perfection! I am just learning how to do the flooding with Antonia's RI, and your pictures give me lots of ideas icon_smile.gif

As far as dry hands go, two things have helped me with cracked and bleeding hands: Gloves In A Bottle, which is like a silicone sealant that you apply over your hands just after washing them, and it seals in the moisture. I bought it locally at Basha's grocery store in the pharmacy section, but you can order it online, too. The other thing that helps me is old-fashioned Bag Balm, which I put on at night when my hands are really bad, and sleep with socks or gloves on my hands to avoid staining my sheets. Smells weird but really helps!

SweetLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetLisa Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 6:56am
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy2008

Tracy LH, I agree, your cookies are perfection! I am just learning how to do the flooding with Antonia's RI, and your pictures give me lots of ideas icon_smile.gif

As far as dry hands go, two things have helped me with cracked and bleeding hands: Gloves In A Bottle, which is like a silicone sealant that you apply over your hands just after washing them, and it seals in the moisture. I bought it locally at Basha's grocery store in the pharmacy section, but you can order it online, too. The other thing that helps me is old-fashioned Bag Balm, which I put on at night when my hands are really bad, and sleep with socks or gloves on my hands to avoid staining my sheets. Smells weird but really helps!

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:43am
post #18 of 30

When I worked in my family's deli, I didn't mind cutting and packaging the bacon. After cutting the salt pork into chunks, I would salt the butcher block and then rub my hands really good as I cleaned it off. icon_biggrin.gif

But I refused to cut head cheese!! lol icon_eek.gif

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 11:12am
post #19 of 30

I also have super dry hands...especially right now. My husband found some funky gloves from CVS for me for Christmas. They are lined with silicone and then contain some other things (grape seed oil and vitamin e or something like that). You wear them for 30 minutes, it feels weird, but I definitely noticed a huge difference when I took them off.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 3:49pm
post #20 of 30

Thanks for all of the great dry-hand-solutions ladies! Lots of great ideas! So glad you started this one, Shiney!

Thankyous to Sandy2008 and SweetLisa - I got lots of inspiration from the many, many talented cookie decorators here on CC - many of whom I aspire to be as good as someday!

Canadiancookie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Canadiancookie2 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 10:03am
post #21 of 30

I suffer with the same condition of dry, cracking hands. But since I have been drinking lots of water from home bottled water that is refrigerated, I find that my skin is less dry, and the cracking does not occur as much. I save all my coke bottles , wash and fill them with tap water, and put them on the bottom shelf, and grab one whenver I need it. The reason that I use coke bottles is, I find they are a heavier and more durable plastic, and if I choose to freeze one or two, they withstand the freezing better than the boughten water bottle does. We really need to drink lots of water in the winter,we dehydrate so much easier than in the summer.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:05am
post #22 of 30

A friend recommended a treatment for my dry hands. Olive oil with sugar. Rub the mixture really well all over your hands, and let them sit for about 5 min. Rinse off and your hands will be very soft and smooth. I do this before I go to bed and then put cotton gloves on my hands. I wake up with new hands!!

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:53am
post #23 of 30

You know your hands are dry when:
You actually consider using Superglue to close the cracks up (just like my Dad used to do).

A couple things that help me: I use antibacterial soap only when working in the kitchen. All the other soap is regular. I have a lotion bottle next to every soap dispenser and try to use it after every wash.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:56pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sweetstory

You know your hands are dry when:
You actually consider using Superglue to close the cracks up (just like my Dad used to do).

OMG, my brother is a psycho... he owns a shoe repair and leather goods business... he will accidentally slit open his hand and just pinch it closed and glue it.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 6:06pm
post #25 of 30

Well you know...Superglue is the "manly" answer! [Insert Tim the Tool man grunt here.]

I'm just afraid that my Dad will one day try to pass down this bit of wisdom to my boys.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 6:10pm
post #26 of 30

I have switched my dish liquid to the new dawn hand renewal and after a few times of using it I did notice a difference but I still have to use lotion but not as much.Give it a try you will like it. icon_smile.gif

DMCG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMCG Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 6:23pm
post #27 of 30

When my niece's were younger they had severe egzema (sp?).
I read an article that said for them to put crisco on the spots at bed time. They cleared up in days
I also just saw a great product on QVC for people like us that are constantly washing their hands. It's made with beeswax, and you put it on before starting anything and it keeps the water from absorbing into the skin.
I'm looking into it, because my hands, and fingers were just raw this year.

Happy New Year to All!
Danielle icon_wink.gif

DMCG Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 6:24pm
post #28 of 30

I read an article that said for them to put crisco on the spots at bed time. They cleared up in days
I also just saw a great product on QVC for people like us that are constantly washing their hands. It's made with beeswax, and you put it on before starting anything and it keeps the water from absorbing into the skin.

Happy New Year to All!
Danielle icon_wink.gif

DMCG Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 6:25pm
post #29 of 30

Happy New Year to All!
Danielle icon_wink.gif

DMCG Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #30 of 30

Happy New Year to All!
Danielle icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%