Keeping Cupcakes Moist

Baking By l80bug79 Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 3:22pm by Monkess

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 9

I know there was a post about brushing something on top of the cupcakes to keep them moist, but i can't find it.

can anyone tell me what that is?

thanks

8 replies
Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 9

Brushing a simple syrup over the top is what I've seen, but I haven't been very successful myself the couple of times I've done it.

Simple syrup is made with 2 parts sugar, 1 part water.
Bring the water to a boil.
Dissolve the sugar into the boiling water.
Once the sugar is dissolved completely, remove the pan from the heat.
Allow to cool completely, add any flavors now and bottle.

HTH

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 9

you can always use simple syrup but frosting your cupcake will keep it moist, try to cover as much of the cake as you can.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 9

I top off my cc with lots of frosting and store them in an air tight flat, shallow container (like those under the bed storage containers) and they stay rather moist. I also zap them in the microwave for 8 seconds before serving and they regain lost moistness. I do wish there was a way to keep them moist on a display stand...oh well!

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:23am
post #5 of 9

i have a huge project w 500 cupcakes. how much ssyrup on each ? i was thinking to make up to a week in adv. & freeze w syrup on it. is that ok ?

Monkess Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 9

Use a pastry brush and brush on all parts that are exposed beyond the cc liner. Freeze in ziplocks and defrost the night before...I guess it would be a tbsp. each or thereabouts...Good luck!

ganesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ganesha Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 9

Just like with cakes, a simple syrup will keep a cupcake moist longer.

Also, I have found that cupcakes made with buttermilk and oil (versus butter) tend to produce the moistest cupcakes.

At the cafe where I work, I always make batches of cupcakes and freeze them. When defrosted, they seem to sometimes be even moister (and stay moist) than when freshly-baked.

Also, if the cupcake your baking tends to have a "crisper" top (some cupcakes tend to have a crisper top than others), then brushing simple syrup over the top might not penetrate the cake below. In that case, I would think that you could use one of those food syringes and squirt some flavored syrup into the cupcake.

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 9

can anyone suggest flavor for red velvet ? thanks.

Monkess Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 9

you mean a syrup flavor? I would do a simple syrup with maybe a hint of vanilla.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%