How Do I Advertise This?

Business By Wing-Ding Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 9:06pm by AZCakeGirl

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 13

I am a novice cake decorator and I've been thinking about creating a flyer to advertise my cakes (at the request of some of my friends). I speak 5 languages and am able to read and write in all of them as well. What would be the best way to advertise in a short way that I can write in Cyrillic, Arabic, Chinese, etc? I don't want it to be too lengthy. I like short and sweet. (and yes, there is a market out here for it.)

...or should I even create the flyer at all? Should I wait until I have some more experience under my belt? I've made about 15 cakes, some were paid with delivery. Most of them have been gifted just so I can gain the experience.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
montanabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanabaker Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 13

I think that maybe you could create a website for yourself with all of that language info on it and then refer people to your website on the flyer. I use synthasite, it's free and easy. And maybe on your flyer you could put something like "Five languages available!" or something.
i don't know, but i think a flyer would let people know That you make cakes and that you shouldn't wait. I think the more people who know you make cakes, the more experience you'll get. I am new to selling my cakes (less than a year) and business was really slow until I started advertising.
Good luck to you!
Hope I helped.

Wing-Ding Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 13

I didn't think about a website. I have experience with HTML and MS Frontpage, so I might be able to manage it myself. I'll have to try this. Thanks for the idea!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 13

You might want to check your state laws and see if you can legally bake and sell from home before advertising (unless you are legal already). Some states you have to be licensed, some states you don't and some states don't allow it at all. By advertising you will be bringing attention to yourself and I'd hate to see the health department come after you if you aren't legal.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 13

There's always Craigslist....

Wing-Ding Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

You might want to check your state laws and see if you can legally bake and sell from home before advertising (unless you are legal already). Some states you have to be licensed, some states you don't and some states don't allow it at all. By advertising you will be bringing attention to yourself and I'd hate to see the health department come after you if you aren't legal.

Well, I do have a food handler's license, but not a business license. Hmmmm... definitely something to think about. I wouldn't want to be fined!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 13

I am in Arizona & will fill you in on the requirements...........

A food handlers card such as what you would get for waiting tables, working in a restaurant kitchen, etc. is not enough. You need to have a "Food Manager's Certificate" which you must go to an 8 hour class & take a test for. All food establishments are required to have a food manager in any kitchen at all times regardless if employees with food cards are present or not. The cost for the certificate is around $85.00. You also need to have a commercial kitchen (separate from your home kitchen) and have it inspected by the County Health Department. Before they come out to inspect it, they require that you submit a "Plan Review" which is basically a sketch or blueprint of your kitchen & where all the appliances, etc. will be. The fee to submit the plan review is approx. $300.00. After the kitchen is inspected, then they will give you a Preliminary Health Permit. Depending on the square footage of your kitchen, the preliminary permit costs around $300.00 & is good for the 1st three months & then it is another $300.00 for the rest of the year (so about $900.00 total to get started). When you renew it the following years, you will not have to pay the $300.00 preliminary or the plan review fees again, just the $300.00 one time ($300.00 per year after that). My kitchen is very small, so these are the lowest fees available. If you have a larger kitchen (over 500 sq. ft.) the fees will go up from there.

You can not bake from your home kitchen, it MUST be separate. Of course most of us get started by baking from home (I did), but I would not risk advertising since the fines can be very big. I would keep with friends & family until you get yourself legally situated. If you can not afford to build an extra kitchen to your home or the monthly rent to lease a commercial space, I would look into local churches, etc. & ask them if they would be willing to rent their kitchen to you once in a while on a daily basis. Most places are willing to do this for $50 - $100 a day. You will still need the Food Manager Certificate & license though.

Sorry to be a let down on getting started, but I hope this helps! (and saves you from getting fined)

AZCakeGirl Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 13

Oh yeah, you will also need a regular business license form the city. I'm pretty sure they are only about $25.00.

Cupcakeluv24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeluv24 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 13

I am in RI does anyone happen to know the laws for here. I have been looking for months but I just doing know where to begin to even search the information out. Thank you in Advance.

Cupcake icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 13

Cupcakeluv24 check with your local health department, they should be able to help you.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 13

check the sticky at the top of this forum for a list of states that license home bakeries.

Wing-Ding Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you AZCakeGirl! That information is so valuable!

AZCakeGirl Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 9:06pm
post #13 of 13

You're welcome! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%