Good Virus Protection?

Lounge By CakeMommyTX Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 4:15am by sparklepopz

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 6

We just got a new computer, our other one was just so full of viruses, worms and everything else you can think of.
We had a virus that was eating our drivers and programs, we lost all kinds of stuff.
But anyways, the new one came with Norton Antivirus and something else, and we have pop-up blocker and a search and destroy thingy (sorry I am so computer illiterate it's not funny), but what else can I put on the computer to be safe?
Whats firefox?
Anyone have any programs they recommend?

5 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 6

I am a computer tech for a school district. Here is a link to free utilities that our distrcit uses to protect our computers. Scroll down on the page for the links.
http://www.kahoks.org/KREITNER/Internet_Safety/online_resources.htm

AVG is an excellent virus protection. I personally find that Norton really bogs a computer down.

Firefox is a browser, like internet explorer. It's all I use at home. It's much less "buggy" than Internet Explorer.

Jodie

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 6

AVG is an excellent (free) program. My dad actually works for the company, so I'm probably a little biased thumbs_up.gif I also have Spybot installed on my computer to detect spyware, it's free also and I just run the program once a week! HTH

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 6

Norton Utilities? Norton is crap, don't trust it. I made that mistake, never again. Lost a hard drive. Trojan virus killed it.

You need a good firewall protector AND a spyware protector for your computer.

I use Webroot Spysweeper for both and it has rooted out and stopped cold-in-the-tracks of a Trojan virus before it hit. It is worth the $20bucks for the annual subscription to renew, I get the upgrades all the time, I can program it WHEN to run and I don't have to leave the computer power on to run it, either.

I first purchased the box with the disk at Circuit City, but you can do downloads if you want.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 6

Norton makes my computer so slow! I dumped it and went with AVG free. It's awesome! Doesn't bog it down and works wonderfully. Here's the link if you want it. http://free.avg.com/

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 4:15am
post #6 of 6

I am double-protected with both AVG Free and Avira. Avira has a tremendous catch rate for viruses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%