Bread Pudding...

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 5:24am by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 6:23am
post #1 of 9

What is everyone's favorite recipes for Bread pudding? icon_biggrin.gif Thinking about making it for Christmas.

8 replies
Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 8:17am
post #2 of 9

I love my recipe, but it's also aided by the fact that I get to use Westfriesian Duyvekater bread - unique to West Holland in The Netherlands...if you get a chance to find this, I'd recommend it!!

In a blender, combine:
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2-3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
dash nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract

In 8" oval baking dish, spray Pam, line with pieces of bread (6-7 slices day-old bread, or small loaf of Duyvekater bread). Melt 2 TB butter, pour all over bread. If desired, sprinkle 1/2 cup raisins over top.

Pour blender mix over bread, lightly pressing down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture well.

Bake in preheated oven, 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), for 35-40 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly tapped.

Best served warm, with whipped cream. yummy!!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 8:38am
post #3 of 9

I love bread pudding. The recipe I use is with condensed milk and I prefer to use Texas Toast for the bread. This recipe is so easy to make and never fails me.

Golden Bread Pudding
3 cups soft bread cubes
3 eggs
3 cups warm water
1 (14-ounce) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350. Place bread cubes in buttered pan. In large bowl, beat eggs, stir in remaining ingredients. Pour evenly over bread, completely moistening bread. Bake 45 to 50 min. or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 9:57am
post #4 of 9

We British must have a different meaning of bread pudding than our US friends. All the recipes above are what we would call 'bread & butter pudding' (although we butter the bread slices before putting them in the dish & covering with the custardy fluid, somthing not done in the recipes above). Bread pudding the in UK is much more of a spiced slab that you slice into squares and it's a lot firmer than bread and butter pudding, but utterly delicious!

My recipes (for those not afraid to actually measure ingredients icon_wink.gif!):

Bread & Butter Pudding

Ingredients

25g/1oz butter, plus extra for greasing
8 thin slices bread
50g/2oz sultanas
2 tsp cinnamon powder
350ml/12fl oz whole milk
50ml/2fl oz double cream
2 free-range eggs
25g/1oz granulated sugar
nutmeg, grated, to taste

Method

1. Grease a 1 litre/2 pint pie dish with butter.
2. Cut the crusts off the bread. Spread each slice with on one side with butter, then cut into triangles.
3. Arrange a layer of bread, buttered-side up, in the bottom of the dish, then add a layer of sultanas. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon, then repeat the layers of bread and sultanas, sprinkling with cinnamon, until you have used up all of the bread. Finish with a layer of bread, then set aside.
4. Gently warm the milk in a pan over a low heat to scalding point. Don't let it boil.
5. Crack the eggs into a bowl, add three quarters of the sugar and lightly whisk until pale.
6. Add the warm milk and cream mixture and stir well, then strain the custard into a bowl.
7. Pour the custard over the prepared bread layers and sprinkle with nutmeg and the remaining sugar and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
8. Preheat the oven to 180C/355F/Gas 4.
9. Place the dish into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the custard has set and the top is golden-brown.

Bread Pudding

8 oz (225 g) white or brown bread, crusts removed
2 teaspoons mixed spice
whole nutmeg
4 oz (110 g) sultanas
1 oz (25 g) currants
1 oz (25 g) raisins
2 oz (50 g) whole candied lemon or orange peel, chopped
3 tablespoons brandy
10 fl oz (275 ml) milk
2 oz (50 g) butter, melted, plus a little extra for greasing
3 oz (75 g) dark soft brown sugar
1 large egg, beaten
grated zest ½ orange
grated zest 1 lemon
1 tablespoon demerara sugar

Begin by placing the sultanas, currants, raisins and candied peel in a bowl. Pour over the brandy and leave aside to marinate. Then, in a large bowl, break the bread into ½ inch (1 cm) pieces. Add the milk, then give the mixture a good stir and leave it for about 30 minutes so the bread becomes well soaked. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4, 350°F (180°C).

Next, mix the melted butter, sugar, mixed spice and beaten egg together and then add to the second bowl. Now, using a fork, beat the mixture well, making sure there are no lumps, then stir in the marinated fruits, with any brandy remaining, and also the orange and lemon zest.

After that, spread the mixture in the baking dish and sprinkle the sugar over it, along with some freshly grated nutmeg. Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for about 1¼ hours
[/b]

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 10:22am
post #5 of 9

Whatever recipe you use get some Challah bread for the bread part. It is THAT much better using a good Challah loaf.

Mike

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 9

My sister uses Panettone, the Italian Christmas bread, to make her Bread Pudding. I've not tried it yet, but since she started doing this a few years ago, she has sworn by it.

BonJoviBabe...you're right, I think we do call your Bread and Butter Pudding only Bread Pudding. Your Bread Pudding looks yummy...I may have to try it this season! Thanks for sharing!! Do you have Duyvekater bread in Rotterdam area? I'd recommend trying it once, see if you like it too! icon_biggrin.gif

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

We British must have a different meaning of bread pudding than our US friends.
[/b]

I was just thinking that as I was reading the recipes.

Oh bonjovibabe (I want you username!) you've really taken me back to when I was little & my gran used to make bread pudding in the same way. I can still smell it now. I think the only difference with her was she used to soak her bread in milk over night. My mom still tries to make it, but somehow it's not the same.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 9

My family and friends love this recipe:
Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce
1 Stick Butter
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 Cups Water
1 Large Can Evaporated Milk
4 Eggs
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
6-7 Slices Bread (I usually add more)
Cinnamon to taste
Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs, one at a time. Add milk, water and vanilla. Break up bread and place in a oven safe baking dish. Pour mixture over bread and sprinkle cinnamon. Bake at 350' for 1 hour.

Lemon Sauce
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon (heaping) Cornstarch
1 Cup boiling water
1/2 Teaspoon Lemon Rind
2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice

Mix first 3 ingredients and boiling water. Cook until clear low heat. Stir frequently. Add lemon rind and butter. Add lemon juice. Serve Warm. You can either pour over entire cooked bread pudding or on individual servings. Enjoy

icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 5:24am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the recipes!! I'll have to be one the look out for the breads mentioned here.

Ya'll are great!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%