Darn Waste Of Saran Wrap- So I Thought....

Decorating By johnson6ofus Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 10:45pm by majormichel

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 4:52am
post #31 of 34

I understood it to be more of a hazardous health threat than a hormonal thing . . . but then again, those hormones could be vicious!!

Johnson60fus, you can really wrap a cake that soon out of the oven?

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:30am
post #32 of 34

As brincess_b said, we were taught in our ServSafe class that one should NEVER put something steaming hot in the freezer or refrigerator as it will raise the temperature putting all the food inside at risk. In fact, the instructor said that it happened once in a restaurant he was working in that the health inspector walked in as someone did this and all hell broke loose. I can't remember the consequences to the place. A fine maybe or they had to throw out food, but I think the person was fired on the spot.

That being said, we did this all the time in baking and pastry class when we needed to do multiple steps in a single class period. The thermostats on the equipment did show the temperature would go way up and take quite a while to cool again. We weren't selling anything though. (We did serve it to staff and other students, however.) I'd say do as you please, as long as you understand what you are doing. There are other ways to cool things quickly. You can put a hot cake pan on top of a cookie sheet filled with ice, for example. That cools things down pretty quickly...

I, too, have heard that there are nasty things in plastic wrap that can leach into food. That is why many will not use plastic wrap in the microwave. I've also heard you can use professional cling wrap where you wouldn't use the usual consumer kind. We used the professional stuff to hold weights to keep our tart shells from rising while baking and that certainly got very hot. (Normal cling wrap will melt) Again, not saying either way. But, do your research and make whatever decision you make an informed one.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 3:49pm
post #33 of 34

From Wiki:
Bisphenol A has low acute toxicity, with an oral LD50 of 3250 mg/kg in rats, but it is an endocrine disruptor. Low doses of bisphenol A can mimic the body's own hormones, possibly causing negative health effects. There is thus concern that long term low dose exposure to bisphenol A may induce chronic toxicity in humans.

*I know Wikipedia isn't the greatest source, but I've read it on other reports as well and don't feel like looking for them this early in the AM. icon_biggrin.gif

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:45pm
post #34 of 34

I baked a spice cake yesterday, when it was luked warm (not stemming hot) I wrapped it with saran wrap. Now today I iced it and it was nice and moist. The sides were not harden by the dry natrual air and that was a big difference for me, because I normally let my cake cool on the wire rack with nothing over it and the sides would be hard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%