How To Create The Look Of Fluffy Fur On A Cake?

Decorating By gd23 Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 2:48am by gd23

gd23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gd23 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 7

HI all,

I was wondering if anyone on here knew how to create the look of fluffy fur on a cake?

6 replies
Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 12:00am
post #2 of 7

Use the grass tip; I think it's #233? It's kind of hard to figure it out at first to get it to look even, but once you get the hang of it it might become your favorite tip! If you look in my photos at the baby shower cake I did, that's how I did the bear; is that the look you're talking about? I admit though, that the first time I did the bear it looked just like and Ewok! Short, squatty, and long crazy hair all over the place! But this was my second attempt and it turned out fine. Just practice!

gd23 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 12:11am
post #3 of 7

oh thats exactly what i was after! your cakes are fabulous!!!!

so can you explain the technique to be? do i pipe up, down, out...? not sure! please help!

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 12:41am
post #4 of 7

well......no-one ever showed me how to do it specifically, so I may be doing it completely wrong! LOL But, I start to squeeze the bag a tiny bit before touching it to the surface, then really only let the icing touch the cake; kind of like doing stars, maybe? Then I pull out and stop squeezing at the same time, or if I want longer "fur", keep squeezing and pulling until it's as long as I want. Really, you will get the feel of it fairly quickly once you try it. Just be careful not get too much of a pattern going. I started at the bottom and worked my way up, but not in straight lines across. I kind of did triangle shaped sections. I will say to do the areas around the neck, arms, legs, ears, etc. first, because once you get up to that point you will mash the icing that's already there if you're not ultra careful.
Also, I actually "built" the arms and legs, and head, face and ears with icing because you couldn't really see the definition of them, after I had already done the entire bear. I just kept adding until it looked "right". I hope this helps!

Don't hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions!

gd23 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:45am
post #5 of 7

thank you for all your help!

gd23 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:46am
post #6 of 7

gd23 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:48am
post #7 of 7