Fondant Scrolls

Decorating By milknhoney Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 2:53pm by bashini

milknhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milknhoney Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 15

I am doing a three tier wedding cake and she wants it covered in buttercream and then have fondant scrolls as the borders for each tier. Firstly I'd like to know it there's a pattern for doing scrolls? Aslo,do I mix it with some gum paste so they stay hard? Then she wants them to be covered in gold and silver shimer dust - which color goes on first?
I would really appreciate any help on the scrolls!

14 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 15

first of all do the scrolls start on top and cascade down the cake or does she want on all all tieres, That asked i did one a year ago and i just used straight fondant i acutally had to write on it as well i use bronze dust on the edges no silver was used, looked like old parchment paper i used a wooden dowel to roll it upon and they were burgundy, Hope this helps

cakebaker1957 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 15

Opps double posts

cakebaker1957 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 15

first of all do the scrolls start on top and cascade down the cake or does she want on all all tieres, That asked i did one a year ago and i just used straight fondant i acutally had to write on it as well i use bronze dust on the edges no silver was used, looked like old parchment paper i used a wooden dowel to roll it upon and they were burgundy, Hope this helps

cakebaker1957 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 15

cakebaker1957 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 15

cakebaker1957 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 15

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 15

Check out this link. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1272693 Is this the sort of scroll work you are describing? You could PM this cake decorator and ask her opinion. [/img]

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 15

I did a cake with scroll work cascading down from a side. I imprinted the scroll work on the cake with the wilton scroll set as I'm not good at free handed. Then I used gumpaste and a sugarshaper/clay gun to go over the scrolls. Hope that make sence. Its the Turqoise and Peacock feathers cake in my photos.

I used gold lustre dust mixed with confectioner's glaze to paint over the scrolls.

HTH.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:22am
post #10 of 15

What a great idea Bashini using the clay gun!

BTW, your cake looked great. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

bashini Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 9:28am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

What a great idea Bashini using the clay gun!

BTW, your cake looked great. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Thank You! icon_biggrin.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:41pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

I did a cake with scroll work cascading down from a side. I imprinted the scroll work on the cake with the wilton scroll set as I'm not good at free handed. Then I used gumpaste and a sugarshaper/clay gun to go over the scrolls. Hope that make sence. Its the Turqoise and Peacock feathers cake in my photos.

I used gold lustre dust mixed with confectioner's glaze to paint over the scrolls.

HTH.

is the confectioners glaze the one that usally is drizzled over cakes and donuts sounds interesting

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:00pm
post #13 of 15

Here's another scrollwork cake that I just love, done by cakelady48. You can order the fondant cutters online. Just do a google search for Jennifer Dontz cutters.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1276452.html

cakebaker1957 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:10pm
post #14 of 15

Omg i was thinking the wrong thing i was thinking like a rolled out scroll from old old days, Forgot about the others Sorry now im on the same page

bashini Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:53pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

HTH.

is the confectioners glaze the one that usally is drizzled over cakes and donuts sounds interesting

I don't know whether anyone use it for that. BUt here is a link to show you that,

http://www.lawsonshop.co.uk/productinfo.php?pid=1870

If you are using that you need to have the glaze cleaner, otherwise you need to throw the brush away.

http://www.lawsonshop.co.uk/productinfo.php?pid=1869

HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%