Please Help......white Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By grama_j Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 4:44pm by CarolAnn

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 15

I LOVE chocolate ganache, but have not tried the white ganache...... I would love to try whipping some for a filling for an up coming cake....... anyone have any experience with this ? Do you use the same measurements as the dark chocolate ? Is is toooo sweet ?

14 replies
tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 15

I would love to know the question to this too! I made white ganache for a cake at Thanksgiving and it was so runny. No matter how much chocolate I added it would never thicken up!

grama_j Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 15

How did you make it ? Just like the dark chocolate ?

tarheelgirl Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 15

I did it exactly like the dark chocolate. I know dark chocolate has a higher content of cacao and this is why it gets thicker. From what I found.. white chocolate bar has no cocoa solids to begin with. There is a science to the whole thing. It frustrated me so I researched it.

I never did get mine thick enough to use as a filling!! icon_cry.gif

grama_j Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 15

hummm...... I usually use semi-sweet chocolate chips and the cream..... I was just going to use the white chips instead..... now I'm afraid..... DARN !

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 15

If there is a way of making a tasty white chocolate ganache I'd like to know about it too. I've made it with the bakers white choc and it never thickened and didn't taste too great either. I'd love to make a nice smoothe white icing, white counterpart to dark ganache, but haven't had any luck. I can't afford to keep experimenting only to throw it out. I hope someone comes up with an answer to this. I haven't started my holiday baking but will soon.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 15

This is the recipe I use to fill my Raspberry cupcakes. I LOVE it! The trick with this to make it the same day you buy your cream, and check the expiration date. You use less cream, and more butter. Hope this helps.

1/2 cup heavy cream
12 ounces white chocolate, chopped
4 tablespoons butter

1. In a small, heavy saucepan, heat the cream just until it starts to simmer.
2. Add the white chocolate, shaking the pan gently to immerse it into the cream, then add the butter.
3. Let the mixture stand for 1 minute, then beat with a wire whisk until the chocolate and butter dissolve and the mixture is smooth.
4. Refrigerate until mixture is cold, then whip with a wire whisk again until fluffy.
5. Use frosting as desired; refrigerate your frosted goodies to firm up the frosting.

(I just put the chocolate and the butter in a glass bowl and then add the cream to that. Works better than just putting everything in the pan)

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 15

To make the white choc ganache, you need to add more white choc. So the ratio is 1:3. If you are using 100ml of cream add 300g of white chocolate. I haven't whipped the ganache. But if you let it cool and and stir with a metal spoon time to time, you will get a spreadable consistancy.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 15

i use the chocolate ganache provided below. although i have never made the white chocolate ganache, the poster recommends doubling the the amount of white chocolate used (in terms of the dark chocolate requirements).

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2116-7-Chocolate-Ganache-1.html

i also remember, in Martha Stewart book on Wedding Cakes, that there is a recipe for white chocolate ganache that uses cocoa butter, maybe someone with the book can search for the recipe and post it here.

HTH!!

sweettoothcakegals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothcakegals Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:32pm
post #10 of 15

Hey ladies, What I do is use 8 oz of white chocolate, 4 oz of white chocolate syrup and 1/4 cup of heavy cream(use more if you want your coating more pourable).

Bring the cream to med-high heat, pour over the chopped white chocolate(or chips), stir till melted, add the syrup. Makes a FANTASTIC tasting ganache-y coating

grama_j Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:33pm
post #11 of 15

So melody, does this become a fluffy filling just like the dark chocolate ?

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:52pm
post #12 of 15

If you sit and whip it at a pretty high speed for a while you will get a nice fluffy "frosting" ganache. Otherwise let it come to room temp and whip it up for 5-10 minutes and it's perfect filling consitency. I have a pic of the ganache in my raspberry cuppies in my photos.

tarheelgirl Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:16pm
post #13 of 15

That looks like a great consistency!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:00pm
post #14 of 15

Do cakes with ganache filling need to be refrigerated or can they sit out for a few days?

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:44pm
post #15 of 15

I always refrigerate mine once they're iced. It helps to set the ganache and I love what refrigerating does to make the makes dense and moist.

Thanks for the white ganache recipe. I'll probably be trying it soon.
Carol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%