Cane Vs. Beet Powdered Sugar

Decorating By gerripje Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 9:05pm by leah_s

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know what the differences are and which is better in icing or gum paste / fondant? I can get both kinds where I live and I know the one package says ingedients are beet sugar and corn starch, the other says 100% cane sugar. I have noticed some slight differences, but then I wasn't paying total attention until I read an article somewhere on the internet about cane sugar being better. Thank you

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 9

I have found no real difference.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 9

Supposedly cane sugar is less gritty.....

daisyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyscakes Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 9

I work at a bakery in here in the south so everyone here says Cane sugar is the better sugar. Why because CAne sugar comes from the south and beet from the north! In reality there is no difference in what they do to your icing we interchange them all the time and noone knows the difference!

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 9

I've always wondered about this as well. Coming from a country that has tons of sugar cane plantations, I would believe the PS should be from cane....but I don't think it is!

I was wondering,.. when I make the PS/milk icing why is it never brite white. Maybe it's just a good quality sugar?

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 9

Oops...meant to say "maybe it's NOT a good quality sugar"?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 9

You may find no difference in buttercream icing, but if you work with royal icing, you will find the difference.. The 100% cane sugar will hold up much better without a "melt down".

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you for all your input! I won't worry about then anymore, since we are surrounded by sugar beets and have the factory right here, I always feel guilty picking up cane sugar at Walmart and not supporting my local industries, but hey, if it means a prettier cake.....well you know!
Thanks so much

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 9

Also, beet sugar is vegan. Cane sugar is not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%