What The Hockey Puck?

Decorating By 2muchsugar Updated 14 Dec 2008 , 5:01am by dmich

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:06am
post #1 of 8

Just thought I'd post my latest experience for y'all to learn from! I received an email order from a gal that I'd never met or talked to before, but it sounded simple and she paid up front. Her husband is a big "Colorado Avalanche" hockey fan and she wanted a single tier cake that looked like a hockey puck. Cool and easy... I suggested that we put her husband's name and birthday number (turning 31) on the top like a professional player's autograph. She said, "Great! he spells his name J-O-N."

So I do the cake (see attachment) and agree to meet her half way for delivery. She loves the cake, but says, "We have a problem. He and I don't have the same last name!" She had kept her last name from a previous marriage for the sake of her children. I had assumed that they would have the same last name and so that's what I put on the cake! Only took a minute to fix, but I had planned to go straight to my daughter's school holiday program. I had to run all the way back to the shop and then back to our meeting spot and was nearly late. So, the moral of the story for all of you unseasoned business bakers like me --- ALWAYS ASK FOR THE EXACT WORDING ON A CAKE! I know I will from now on! icon_redface.gif
LL

7 replies
cecerika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cecerika Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:30am
post #2 of 8

Great cake. How did you change the name without tearing the edible image???

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:39am
post #3 of 8

Looks fantastic to me!

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:41am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecerika

Great cake. How did you change the name without tearing the edible image???

Yeah, how'd you do that? btw, It looks great!!!

jkeeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jkeeler Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:41am
post #5 of 8

Boy, that looks amazing--how did you do the design and what did you use to put the name on? And, as asked before, how did you change it without ruining it? Inquiring minds want to know.. icon_lol.gif

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 8

Oh, I had to reprint the edible image too! Surprisingly, the image came right off (I think it's because it was on fondant instead of buttercream). I used an edible food coloring marker to sign the name. Like I said, and easy fix, but I'm kicking myself in the butt for making the mistake in the first place.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 8

I've learned over the years to be very exact with a cake order. Right down to the most common of spelling of names icon_smile.gif

Great cake!!! Great save!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:01am
post #8 of 8

I think this looks amazing. Of course, being a Vancouver Canucks fan, I'd have to take issue with the Avalanche plug. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%