What's Your Favorite Cake Decorating Book?

Business By FlyGirl08 Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 11:53pm by bobwonderbuns

FlyGirl08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlyGirl08 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:52am
post #1 of 12

Alot of friends are asking what to get me for Christmas? I want some great books that will inspire me. Colette Peters always does the trick, but I have all of those. I've already told one friend to get me Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes. What else should I request....since they asked icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 12

Sylvia Weinstock has two books out now, and they're both beautifully done. Lots of pictures and ideas. I also like the British books Sugar Roses for Cakes and Sugar Orchids for Cakes, but those are really for gumpaste makers, so I don't know if you do that. Another one for decorating ideas and techniques is The Whimsical Bakehouse

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 12

I also like Elisa Strauss (Confetti Cakes) and Lindy Smith books. ... but really cake decorating book!! icon_lol.gif
~Jaime

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 12

A globalsugarart.com gift certificate icon_smile.gif

FlyGirl08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlyGirl08 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for those suggestions! Are there any others?!?! icon_smile.gif

katefrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katefrosting Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:34am
post #6 of 12

Have you seen Cakewalk Adventures in Sugar with Margaret Braun? She does some really elaborate cakes. I am always wowed when I look through that book.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 12

Anything Alan Dunn if you like gumpaste.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 12

The Well Decorated Cake by Toba Garrett which I find to be both instructional and inspirational. She also has a textbook style book out tha I haven't purchased yet, but I keep eyeing it up. I forget the exact title but if you look up Toba Garrett on Amazon.com, it is sure to pop up. For inspirational purposes, I looooove looking at Peggy Porschen's Pretty Party Cakes.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 12

Does it have to be a book? How about an instructional DVD? My sister gave me 8 of Nicholas Lodge's DVDs and I am thrilled. I learn a lot more by watching someone do something than just reading. Sugar Ed Productions has some great DVDs too. Hope you get what you want/need. Merry Christmas!

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 12

Hi FlyGirl08,

I have two favorite books one is by Kerry Vincent (Romantic Wedding Cakes) and the other is by Debbie Brown (Enchanted Cakes for Children)

Tammy

montanabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanabaker Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 11:45pm
post #11 of 12

I love peggy porschen's "beautiful cakes". she's an artist with cake

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 11:53pm
post #12 of 12

I like anything by Lindy Smith and Peggy Porschen. You might also consider some of Toba Garrett's books. One thing you can do is go to Barnes and Noble and look through their cake books and see what YOU like. Everyone's taste is different. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%