Can Any Cookie Baker Explain To Me

Decorating By msnrozier Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 1:28am by bobwonderbuns

msnrozier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msnrozier Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:47am
post #1 of 5

how one recipe calls for SIX cups of flour which is what I used and then I see another recipe that call for 2 3/4 cups of flour, now I have a batch of dough that is making hard cookies!!!

I posted in the cookie section but most ppl come in this section, I just need not to throw away this whole this of dough!!!

4 replies
KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:54am
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure I understand. Are the 2 recipes identical except for the amounts of flour?

msnrozier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msnrozier Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:57am
post #3 of 5

2 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups butter softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla

this is one

then the nfsc calls for more butter and 6 cups of flour and more baking soda

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 1:18am
post #4 of 5

NFSC doesn't use baking soda. The original recipe calls for 1 Tablespoon of Baking POWDER which is completely different from soda. If you're using soda, this could be why you're getting hard cookies.

The cookie recipe you posted follows a different formula. I'm wondering though... baking soda needs an acid in order to be activated. The recipe doesn't seem to have enough acidic ingredients to start the chemical reaction. I wonder why. I would think this would also produce hard, tough cookies.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 1:28am
post #5 of 5

The recipe I use calls for 6 Cups flour and 1 tsp Baking Powder. It makes a tender cookie but sturdy to withstand all the decoration I put on it. I also roll out between sheets of parchment paper so I'm not adding additional flour to the recipe when I roll it out. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%