How Much Weight?

Decorating By pbeckwith Updated 17 Aug 2005 , 2:45pm by Calejo

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 9

Did I read the weight of decorated cakes on here somewhere? I've tried to search but can't find anything.
Does anyone have a chart, I'm wondering how much this wedding cake I'm doing will weigh.

8 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 9

I haven't seen a chart but the weight depends on the ingredients you use! To give you a rough idea, here is an example

One Betty Crocker cake mix and ingredients according to package directions, weighs about 2# 4oz

One batch of basic buttercream icing weighs approximately 1#12 oz.

..so for each cake mix and batch of icing you use, it basically will weigh about 4#. This, of course, does not include boards or decorations!

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 9

Oh my goodness!!! That's at least 56 pounds. Thank goodness it's not all stacked - I'd really be nervous.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 9

..it adds up quick, doesn't it?! icon_surprised.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 9

Don't forget to add a couple pounds for fondant! I think I used over ten pounds of fonant for my last wedding cake.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:14am
post #6 of 9

Every wedding cake I've made has weighed A LOT!! I haven't been able to pick them up at all because of my bad back. I have to depend on my hubby or my son to get the cakes to the van for delivery. When they are working I usually call someone from the Fire Dept. to help me. They are at least 50 lbs! Maybe more.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 9

The bottom cake being the heaviest, and if I use my homemade cutting board or plywood, it really makes it heavy...but it's a very stable base... I wouldn't be able to pick up one of my stacked wedding cakes either...lol... I wonder just what one would weigh?
Happy baking,
cakegal

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 9

Wow - that's amazing! It's funny how we know that the cakes are heavy, but to see that actual numbers?!?! That's a real eye-opener!

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 9

Well, at first, I thought this thread was referring to the weight of a different kind of bottom. In that case, you don't want to know, and I'm too scared to look at my own!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%