Help!!! I Need All Sorts Of Chocolate Advice!!!

Decorating By Baking_Booth Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 2:50am by Baking_Booth

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 3

I got a last minute cake request from my wonderful SIL for my MIL's b-day, TOMORROW NIGHT! MIL has lost over 30 pounds on Jenny Craig and we want to celebrate with a death by chocolate cake! Help!

Chocolate Frosting?
I need a great tasting (and hopefully easy) chocolate frosting recipe that can be decorated with. What is your favorite? No fancy deco just a border or something.

Chocolate Cake?
I'm going to use a chocolate cake mix because I'm short on time but I was wondering if you knew a great add in for more flavor or something?

Chocolate Mousse?
I have a chocolate no bake mousse recipe that should be good to use for the filler. Have any of you ever tried dark or white chocolate mousse?

I looked around a little for some recipes but I'm at work right now and should probably, well, work, if I have to... lol.

Thanks!!! You all are awesome!!!

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:32am
post #2 of 3

I'd do a chocolate ganache for the outside icing, which is easy and looks really nice. I've done chocolate cakes that are torted with three layers of chocolate truffle (just the ganache, cooled and whipped) in three different chocolates, white, milk and dark. That gives you four thinner layers of cake and three different chocolates inside, then you can cover it with a thin layer of the truffle, chill the cake and pour the ganache over it. That's enough to give anyone a chocolate overload.

For the chocolate ganache I use 1 bag of chocolate chips and 1 cup of whipping cream. Heat the cream until right before it boils, then pour it over the chips in a bowl. Let it sit for a minute then whisk it so that the chips all melt. For the ganache just let it cool off at room temp, then pour it over the cake and spread it with a spatula. That part is messy, so if you put it on a cooling rack that's sitting in a baking sheet it can catch the dripping ganache that falls off the cake. The only thing to remember isthat you can't touch the cake after it's been poured because the ganache sets up and you'll leave fingerprints on it if you're not careful.

The truffle is the same recipe but you chill the melted chocolate mixture and whip it with a mixer when it's cold. It will fluff up and you'll be able to spread it. Don't make it ahead of time and chill it because it will get too stiff to spread easily.

There are probably tons of variations on this basic recipe on line, some have liquers in them. I just go with the easy road since it tastes good to me!

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:50am
post #3 of 3

icon_biggrin.gif You're awesome!!! Thanks so much for all of your help!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%