Question About The Wasc Recipe...please Help....

Decorating By ape74 Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 3:06am by kakeladi

ape74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape74 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 8:12am
post #1 of 5

I'm going to be trying the WASC recipe this coming weekend, but I'm only making half of it, since I'm just going to bake two 9 in round cakes by 1 1/2....which will only be like 3 inches high. The recipe says to bake at 325. I have a few questions:

Do I also bake at 325 even if it's just half of the recipe?

How long do I bake it for, I mean keeping in mind the size of my pans? (Do I just follow the baking times on the white cake box or does this recipe have it's own baking time? When I use these pans, I always bake for 30 minutes. Should I?)

Thank you very much. I would really appreciate your help.

p.s. I would really like to thank everyone who helped me with my RI questions, along with the suggestions for a strawberry buttercream. My cake was a hit! The taste was wonderful and my RI flowers made my mom's cake look beautiful. I may finally post a picture as this one is one I am very proud of. Thanks again!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:04am
post #2 of 5

If you use my original WASC recipe you won't have to 1/2 the recipe as it is the perfect amount.
BTW: since the pans are only 1 1/2" deep you won't even need all of it.......make a few cupcakes w/leftover batter.

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi

1 box cake mix (I prefere Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful if you use a wire wisk, but optional. In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

*NOTES: any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry/almond for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
You can use milk or cream for the liquid.
This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 to mix the batter.
Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR one 8" & two 6" round; a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
I prefere to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
1 part vanilla extract
1/2 part butter flavoring
1/4 part almond flavoring

A "Part" is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cup about once a monthicon_smile.gif

Yes, you bake at the same temp until you can smell the cakes. The temp is important no matter the size of the cake - don't change it. Times are just a guideline.......not a hard and fast rule. It should take about 20 minutes or so for that size pan.
You'll love this wonderful, moist yummy cake icon_smile.gif

ape74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape74 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:52am
post #3 of 5

Oh my God Kakeladi! I love it! Thank you very much! Now, I have some additional questions if you don't mind.

1. I don't have a kitchen aid. So, do I mix dry ingredients with wire whisk and the rest I beat with electric hand mixer?

2. I bought pillsbury white cake mix. Is that ok?

3. So, I add the "whole" eggs?

4. I understood perfectly your explanation of "parts" when it comes to flavoring. So, with this size I would add 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp butter and 1/4 tsp almond right?

5. You said bake about 30 mins at 300 and then the same time again at 325. So, with these size pans since they're usually done in 30 minutes in my oven, what instructions would you give me? 300 for fifteen minutes and 325 for another fifteen minutes?

6. If I were baking a chocolate cake or devil's food, what combination of flavorings would be appropriate?

I'm sorry for all my questions. I just want to make sure I have everything ready and set to go before I start baking. I don't want to mess anything up or be stuck at the last minute. icon_sad.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:28am
post #4 of 5

Mixing directions for WASC using whisk and hand mixer:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-598376-.html

You might find this "Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above thread has info on baking/making the cake, fondant and/or buttercream with recipes and SO much more.... icon_smile.gif

HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:06am
post #5 of 5

1. I don't have a kitchen aid. So, do I mix dry ingredients with wire whisk and the rest I beat with electric hand mixer?
The use of the whisk is not mandortory but helpful I found. Yes, a hand held mixer will work.
2. I bought pillsbury white cake mix. Is that ok?
I can't remember ever using Pillsbury but I have used DH and perfe4re BC
3. So, I add the "whole" eggs?
Yes use the whole eggicon_smile.gif
4. I understood perfectly your explanation of "parts" when it comes to flavoring. So, with this size I would add 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp butter and 1/4 tsp almond right?
Hey you did your math correctlyicon_smile.gif
5. You said bake about 30 mins at 300 and then the same time again at 325. So, with these size pans since they're usually done in 30 minutes in my oven, what instructions would you give me? 300 for fifteen minutes and 325 for another fifteen minutes?
I don't usually bake in shallow pans but if you bakeuntil you can smell the cakes it's time to check them w/a toothpick & touch in the center methods.
6. If I were baking a chocolate cake or devil's food, what combination of flavorings would be appropriate?
I use that same mixture for almost all my cake flavors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%