What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By Gingoodies Updated 17 Aug 2005 , 1:21am by Gingoodies

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 15

I made the "Super enhanced cake formula" recipe from this site in chocolate. I used it to make cupcakes (testing recipes for a cupcake wedding) and the cake was very CRUMBLY.. when you peeled the paper off and held the cupcake to eat it.. it practically fell apart icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif I am thinking maybe I overcooked them?? but they are not burnt tasting. I used a Duncan Hines cake mix and follwed the recipe exactly. Any ideas?? I am trying recipes because the GROOM has decided opinions on the cupcakes.. He is telling me he wants something "moist and rich".. OK the moist part I get.. now explain the "rich". I asked him to define it.. taste.. flavor... mouth feel.. ??? He is supposed to get back to me.. and they say the brides are bad.. icon_surprised.gif I am thinking I have a GROOMZILLA in the making icon_lol.gificon_cool.gif PS.. At the original tasting I used my basic box cake cupcakes that everyone always devours. This is the third batch of cupcakes I have done for this guy!

14 replies
tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 15

I think Duncan Hines makes a Dark Chocolate mix. Have you tried that one? That might seem "richer" to him! icon_confused.gif

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 15

No clue on the cake enhancer version...never tried it, but I can vouch for the DH Dark Chocolate Fudge cake...I've used it alot, and it is usually selected over regular chocolate cake.
Good luck...usually the groom could care less on stuff like this...you do have your work cut out for you. Keep us posted!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 15

Gingoodies, maybe you can use a doctored cake mix from The Cake Doctor's book? I haven't gotten it yet but hear many good things about it and I know she has one specifically for chocolate cakes. Check out a book store and skim through the book to see if there's something you'd like.

When I think "rich", especially with chocolate, I think intensely sweet. Meaning, very chocolatey or added ingredients that make things rich, such as cream, liquers, etc. When something is rich, I can usually just eat one piece and needs lots of water. lol

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 15

If you look on the side of the DH Dark Chocolate Fudge box, there is a recipe that will make a nice, dense, chocolate cake. I just used it for the first time and will make it my "standard" chocolate recipe from now on.

I believe it's just the addition of 1 egg and a box of pudding--but I can't remember at the moment.

Lisa

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 15

I think he just wants free cupcakes to eat. lol

Check out the Cake Doctor. Also, have you tried adding sour cream, wonderful addition to cakes. thumbs_up.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 15

I would try making the Dark Chocolate Duncan Hines mix and pour one tub of dark chocolate frosting into the batter when you're mixing it. Add all the other ingredients just like the box calls for. This will be dense, supermoist, and with all that chocolate it will DEFINTELY be rich.

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 15

Gingoodies,

This may be a stupid idea but it ran across my mind. Maybe he wants more of a brownie in cake form. That would definitely be rich. Just a thought. I have a recipie for a "brownie" cake if you want me to send it to you, let me know.

Good Luck.

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 15

Gingoodies, I know you've received a lot of really great advice. If you want a moist, dense & rich cake I suggest the following recipe from Colette Peters. It's the same amount of work as using a doctored boxed mix and it's SUPER delish! I hate chocolate cake but LOVE this one. This has become the only chocolate cake that I'll make & gets requested a lot. You won't be disappointed. icon_smile.gif

2 cups sugar
2 eggs, room temp.
1 cup milk, room temp.
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup vegetable shortening or softened butter
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cup hot, strong coffee

Pre-heat oven to 325 F. Grease cake pans & dust w/ flour (or use cake release).

In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients except coffee. Mix at low speed until blended, scraping sides occasionally. Slowly add coffee while mixing on slow. Mix until smooth.

Bake for about 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 15

Duncan Hines also makes a butter recipe fudge mix....it is super rich!!! Just add a stick of butter per box and it tastes great. I have used this several times and nobody has ever complained! Good luck with the picky groom! icon_biggrin.gif
traci

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 5:00pm
post #11 of 15

You could also try a Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake recipe.....definitely dense & the sour cream adds richness & you can add a whole box of Baker's chocolate squares melted with a little butter. I also have a chocolate pound cake recipe that calls for a bag of choc. chips melted & a whole can of Hershey's choc. syrup....very moist & yummy! Let me know if you want the recipe!

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 5:18pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachez

Gingoodies, I know you've received a lot of really great advice. If you want a moist, dense & rich cake I suggest the following recipe from Colette Peters. It's the same amount of work as using a doctored boxed mix and it's SUPER delish! I hate chocolate cake but LOVE this one. This has become the only chocolate cake that I'll make & gets requested a lot. You won't be disappointed. icon_smile.gif

2 cups sugar
2 eggs, room temp.
1 cup milk, room temp.
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup vegetable shortening or softened butter
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cup hot, strong coffee

Pre-heat oven to 325 F. Grease cake pans & dust w/ flour (or use cake release).

In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients except coffee. Mix at low speed until blended, scraping sides occasionally. Slowly add coffee while mixing on slow. Mix until smooth.

Bake for about 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Is this recipe in all her books? I noticed on the Food Network website that they have posted another chocolate cake by Colette Peters, also using coffee, but added bourbon! Yum!

Is this recipe for cupcakes?

Thanks!

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 5:26pm
post #13 of 15

I'm not sure if it's in all her books. I have her book "The Art of Cake Decorating" and that's where I got this recipe. I'm thinking that for cupcakes the cooking time should be slightly reduced.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 5:31pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks much! It sounds delicious! icon_biggrin.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 1:21am
post #15 of 15

Wow.. thank you all for such great contributions.. I am definately looking at the ideas posted for the chocolate cake. I have to do white and/or yellow also. I am waiting for response on the yellow cupcakes I gave him yesterday... I will report back on my "Groomzilla" adventure !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%