Trick To Perfect Cake Balls?

Decorating By Price Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 4:05pm by kbak37

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 8

I know there are many, many threads on cake balls, but here is one more question. I tried reading the different threads, but gave up and just thougt I would start a new post. I have seen so many pictures of beautiful, perfectly round and smooth cake balls.

What is the trick to getting them perfectly smooth looking? I just tried making a few tonight to experiment and they are delicious! I could have eaten them all! The problem is mine look a little lumpy, they aren't really nice and smooth. Do any of you cake ball experts have any advice for me?

Thanks for your help.
Jean

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:41am
post #2 of 8

You just have to wet your hands and roll, roll,roll until they are smoothicon_smile.gif

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:19am
post #3 of 8

I use a cookie dough scoop, a small one. It looks like a mini mashed potatoe scoop that has the thing to flick the cake ball back out. Then gently shape up edges with your hands, but you get a lot better starting shape.

CakesbyGeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyGeorge Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:41am
post #4 of 8

If you wear decorator gloves they will be smoother - they do not stick to you hands if they are moist.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 3:57am
post #5 of 8

you have to smash that stuff up like crazy. knead like hamburger meat till you can't go no more! then all the big chunks of cake are smmothed out and they roll nice and smooth

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:09am
post #6 of 8

I just mix mine up in my kitchen aid mixer, then use the cookie scoop. Sometimes I then roll them w/ my hands an sometimes I don't. Then, you freeze them for a while (get them good and cold) so they don't start to fall apart in your chocolate. Also, shake off the excess chocolate.

HTH

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks so much. With the holidays coming I thought they might be a nice treat. I have never seen cake balls in this area and they will be something new to surprise people with.

When I made a few last night just to see how they would turn out, I thought I had the balls of cake smooth, but when I dipped them in white choc. every little nook and cranny showed! I will try them again, but this time I'll use a little more muscle and roll, roll, roll!

Sharon, I saw the pictures of the ones you made and they look perfect!

Thanks again everyone! thumbs_up.gif

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 8

I made some yesterday....
I used Bakerella's suggestion of using a candy cup (looks like bottom of small Reese's). I used a 1/2 tablespoon scoop and wet my hands and they rolled beautifully and did not stick. When they came out of the mold I froze them for a little bit and then dipped the tops in white chocolate..They held up great and look so cute. I used christmas non-pareils and topped it with the red and white christmas choclate chips from Nestle. Anyway...they turn out very cute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%