Fondant "glue"?

Decorating By banananutmuffin Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 10:55pm by kakeladi

banananutmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banananutmuffin Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 8

So if you're making a fondant figure with parts--like a person with a head and arms--how do you "glue" the parts on the body so that they don't fall off? I heard you're not supposed to use water with fondant...

Thanks!

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 8

you can buy edible glue in cake decorating shops/ sites, or alcohol like vodka. water can make it go mushy, but generally i still use it, cause its what i have handy, and im not attatching heavy things. for figures tho, i guess the water might not hold it so well?
xx

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 8

I haven't ventured into fondant figures yet, but my favorite fondant glue by far is to dissolve a pea-sized ball of gumpaste in about 2 Tbsp. water. it works better than water or extract/vodka for me. Hope that helps.

wendym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendym Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 8

If you check out aine2 she has a video telling you how to mix the best and strongest glue. She mixes a very small amount of tylose powder with cool boiled water and leaves it in the refrigerator over night to thicken ( dont worry about any lumps they will be gone in the morning) If its too thick just add a little more water. This is the best glue I have ever used for fondant or gumpaste it realy will stick anything. Hope this helps.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 8

You can use raw spaghetti or toothpicks to help hold the parts in place while they dry. Break off a piece just long enough that you can stick half of it into the arm and the rest into the body.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

(Don't use toothpicks unless you're sure it won't get eaten!)

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 8

I like tylose powder w/ water or vodka. Keep it covered though

lovelytee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovelytee Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

I like tylose powder w/ water or vodka. Keep it covered though

Ladies, How much tylose and water for mixture? And can you post the link to Aine2 thank you. Thanks banananutmuffin for that question.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 8

What Nic Lodge taught us is to save your empty Tylose Bottle and fill it w/water. Shake well & store in frig. Keeps forevericon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%