Omg! Help Its Urgent! =(

Decorating By twinkletoe21 Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 4:05pm by diane706

twinkletoe21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkletoe21 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 15

hi everyone..

okey, i have a castle cake due this saturday and ive been working on it. i already made the cakes. filled frosted and covered in fondant. i have yet to start decorating it when i got a voicemail from the customer (which btw is a relative of my husband) saying that they might have to cancel the cake order for this saturday because the birthday girl has stomach flu and they might cancel the party BUT instead have it NEXT saturday. now i dont know what to do??? what do i say?.. i have to call her back soon and i need some advice pls???... im in desperate need of advice. hehe.. thank you!!!

elle

14 replies
Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 15

I would tell her I'm so sorry that her baby is sick. I know how that is. I would also let her know that I already made the cake and I dont have time to make another one. Ask her if she minds if you freeze it? Maybe you can wrap it up really well freeze then take out of the freezer next thursday. If the fondant is too moist maybe you can peel it off and put more on. I wouldnt rebake even though I know stuff does happen. Is she paying you for this cake or is it a favor? She will understand where you are coming from because you already made it. If she is paying maybe she wouldnt mind paying for the extra ingrediants because he already made it. You could give her the undecorated cake for her family to eat this week and then remake on thursday since she is family. If she is paying I would make her pay for the ingrediants. If she is not paying then I would tell her she can freeze or go to walmart or cosco. Sorry no hard feelings business is business

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 15

This is a tough spot. If it's a smaller castle cake, maybe just say please let me know for sure by friday night, that way you can finish it if the party is still on. If it's a larger cake, can you freeze it?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 15

I strongly suggest not saying anything about fzing it.
Take the fondant off. Scrap off any crumbs & icing and wrap it well. You should be able to use it again if there aren't any crumbs on it.
Now you can fz the cake. Wrap it well. Now you're well ahead for next week's work.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 15

If you have room in your freezer - flash freeze it for about 1 to 2 hours, then wrap it up in plastic wrap and keep it there until a couple days before you need it. And slowly thaw it out, in the fridge then on the counter and then decorate for next week.

I think that should work - hopefully someone else will weigh in on this!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 15

I have to freeze my fondant covered cakes from time to time and they are just fine, if not, more moist, then before freezing!

I just loosely cover it in plastic wrap.

The important steps are to FIRST remove the wrap before placing it in the fridge to thaw. It should thaw in the fridge overnight before bringing it to room temp. Give it 3 hours out of the fridge to let the condensation dry, and if it still seems too moist then you can use a hair dryer to instantly dry it.

Always wait at least 2 hours before using a hair dryer (if needed) because if it is still too cold conensation might come back.

wendym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendym Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 15

OK now I know I live in the UK but here goes and I hope this helps. I have made hundreds of cakes always covered in fondant and quite a few of them have not been eaten at the party (Oh it was just too nice to cut) Now I find fondant covered cakes keep well if they are sealed to the board for 1 to 2 weeks no problem. I would never freeze or refrigerate a fondant coverd cake. Some of the most exclusive cake shops in the UK who sell very expersive fondant coverd cakes give a use by date of 14 days after date of purchase. I hope this helps and if you feel you must bake and make this cake again, why not keep the first one untill next week and then cut and sample with your family I promise you, you will be surprised just how fresh it tastes. I dont have many cakes on CC for you to view because for some reason it wont let me load my pictures any more. I still hooked on this sight though.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 15

With American style cakes (as far as the insides go) I would NOT recommend just letting it sit on the counter and then serving it a week later. Tell her you cannot (CANNOT not just oh I don't have time to) rebake the cake. You feel for her situation so you will be kind enough to move her $$ to the same cake on the next weekend. Let her know it is already baked and will be frozen (put it in a box and wrap the box in plastic. I promise your fondant will be fine) and then finished next week. She is the one putting you out (even tho its unintentional) and so you need to be firm about what is going to happen.

twinkletoe21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkletoe21 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 15

thank you all so much for your help!!!! i talked to the relative and shes the one that asked me if i have a big enough freezer so i can freeze the cake? and i said, ill see what i can do. now my question is, do i wrap the cake by tier of course with plastic wrap and then put it in the freezer? this is of course covered in fondant already. i just need a little clearing when it comes to freezing fondant covered cakes as i have NEVER done this before. im planning on freezing the two top layers... any advice is greatly appreciated!! thank youuu!!!

elle

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:31am
post #10 of 15

I guess I will bow to thos3e who say it's o.k. to fz a fondant covered cake.
I have always been told that the problem comes when thawing it. The moisture from fzing has no where to go so the cake gets mushy icon_sad.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:27am
post #11 of 15

And where did the moisture come from? The cake can't get mushy as you are not adding water to it in any way. Fondant actually provides an EXTRA barrier... so while you may have issues with the icing and condensation, it will not effect the cake part. Put each tier in a separate box (if you can) and then wrap each box well in plastic wrap. Do not unwrap until the cakes are thawed again. There will be no condensation inside the wrap.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:51am
post #12 of 15

I made a cake today for a wine tasting.(The picture is on my profile). It snowed so much today that they had to cancel the whole event. They have rescheduled it for next Tuesday and asked if I would re-do it. I said sure... but they offered to pay me for it again which is the ONLY reason I would re-do it! It was alot of hard work! icon_wink.gif

lauralee422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauralee422 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:23pm
post #13 of 15

Diane, the cake is incredible!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:01pm
post #14 of 15

Just ditto'ing the freezing fondant cakes thing. I have never had a problem with moisture or colors running or soggy fondant. The cake stays incredibly moist, but not too moist. Just let the condensation dry.

I freeze my leftover fondant, too. It keeps a very, very long time icon_wink.gif

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:05pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks Lauralee!! It was so much fun to make! Good thing since I have to make it again next week! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%