Bad Edible Markers??

Decorating By candynumber1 Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 2:12pm by Kitagrl

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 19

I've seen some beautiful hand writing done with Wiltons Edible markers on this site. My problem is, that I've bought 3 different boxes at 3 different times, bold and fine tip and all I get is the look of a marker drying out. I keep them in the fridge standing straight up in a mug. Did I get a bad batch? or am I doing something wrong? I also wipe them after use.

18 replies
Kairiboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kairiboo Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 19

Hmm I could be mistaken, but aren't they supposed to be stored "flat" laying horizontally?

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 19

I can tell you that I have had no luck with those markers. I've tried several different packs, several different storage ways and nothing works.

I'm on the lookout for a great marker because Wilton's aren't!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 19

I have some of the Betty Crocker ones, I have not had a problem with them.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 19

I have the Foodoodler ones, and I have had good luck "reviving" them by dipping the felt tip into liquid airbrush color.

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 19

I have never had luck with any of those markers. I've stored them every which way and tried all types of tricks and they alway slook like they are "drying out".

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 19

Duplicate post

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 19

I use the americolors food writers & I store them flat in my kitchen drawer in the original package. Never had a dry one (even after no use for a year).

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 19

...same as rezzy, I have americolor and they still work just fine after a yearicon_wink.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 19

Gravity. They need to be stored laying down or tip down (just as you would any pen or marker) and I don't fridge mine.

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 19

looks like it could just be the wilton brand icon_sad.gif which wouldn't surprise me. i have the fooddoodlers fine tips and i've had them for about 9 months stored on their side in a plastic storage drawer and i just used them a few weeks ago on some gumpaste and they worked just fine. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1291028 you might just want to try a different brand.

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 3:45am
post #12 of 19

Thanks so much for all the replies, I guess it's time to try another brand. As far as refridgerating them, it says it on the label. I will try laying them down for a while after all I've got 15 markers that i've never used.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:02am
post #13 of 19

i tried the wilton writers this summer and they were horrible! i paid $14 for like 6 markers and took them back immediately.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 9:50pm
post #14 of 19

I had the same problem with my wilton ones. I was going to use the red one to make the veins on my cake ball eyeballs. I only got one done with the marker then it stopped working. I thought maybe the tip had chocolate on it so I wiped it off and nothing. I ended up just throwing them away. I hate wilton stuff. icon_mad.gif

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:04pm
post #15 of 19

I have the Wilton markers and haven't had a problem with them at all. I keep them laying flat, ar room temperature. I've had this pack for approxiamtely 6 months and they're still marking.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:23pm
post #16 of 19

I also have had my wilton markers for close to two years and they still work fine so I guess there is also an element of luck when buying some of these things icon_wink.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:30am
post #17 of 19

I too have Wilton markers, and while I don't use them that much, they work fine. I have used them to write on fondant and gumpaste without a problem. However, I tried to write on a pink chocolate plaque this weekend without success. I thought maybe it was just something about the chocolate consistency since they have worked fine on everything else I've tried????

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 1:47pm
post #18 of 19

I also have both the Wilton and Americolor food writers and have never had them dry out. I keep them in a ziplock bag in the frig and they are always just fine.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:12pm
post #19 of 19

The Americolor ones are best, and also write fine on chocolate....

You should keep them refrigerated also, after using them once.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%