Colouring Multiple Batches Of Fondant

Decorating By staceyboots Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 1:20am by DianeLM

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:13am
post #1 of 7

Morning CC ((waving hand))

I have my first coloured multi-tiered cake to make (all of them have previously been white) and I am at a lost as to how to colour these batches of fondant so that the colours look the same.

My KA cant handle making the fondant for the 6", 9" and 12" tiers at the same time and I dread the idea of having to knead all of that fondant at once on my kitchen counter so that the colour is even. I truly do prefer to make the fondant batches for the 6", 9" and 12" in my KA separately.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this successfully? It isn't a problem for me if the colour comes straight from the bottle (like pink or yellow)...the problem occurs when the colours have to be mixed to achieve the end result that I want. Do you just eyeball it?

Please share your techniques!

TIA

Stacey

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:14am
post #2 of 7

weight the fondant and measure the color.

Or simply buy precolored fondant.

staceyboots Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:24am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

weight the fondant and measure the color.

Or simply buy precolored fondant.

for example, xxx pounds of fondant = xxx tsps of colour ?

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:41am
post #4 of 7

I would do like they said buy it or measure and if I measured it I would at the final end of it all mix all three together so it would be the same. Hope this makes sense. Good luck!!!!

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 7

If you make your own MMF I add the color to the melted MM then knead in the PS. This always works for me.

staceyboots Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

I would do like they said buy it or measure and if I measured it I would at the final end of it all mix all three together so it would be the same. Hope this makes sense. Good luck!!!!

so, you're saying:
1. prepare all 3 batches of fondant separately
2. knead them together
3. add the colour

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:20am
post #7 of 7

Tint a blob of fondant very dark. Then, knead a measured amount of the dark colored fondant to a measured amount of white (1 oz colored to 1 pound white, e.g.). When it's the shade you want, repeat the process until you've colored it all.

To be extra sure, break off pieces of each final colored batch and mix them together. Keep doing this until you've remixed everything with everything else. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%