Blog Or Website???

Business By icingonthecupcake Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 5:19pm by indydebi

icingonthecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingonthecupcake Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:42am
post #1 of 21

I have tried to set up a website myself many times but I find it very time consuming and a bit confusing. A friend of mine suggested that I setup a blog instead of a website because it's easy and Free!! I am wondering if any of you have a website instead of a blog? Or what do you think of that idea?

Jasmine icon_smile.gif

20 replies
terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:55am
post #2 of 21

I am not sure about all blog sites but some have it stated that you can not use it to sell items....

Cheers,
A

cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:58am
post #3 of 21

I have been going back and forth on that also. But I did finaly decide to go with the blog. For me it just feels more flexible and personal. I can make it more interactive than I can a website, at least it seems like it would be easier to make it more interactive than a website. re are my thoughts and why I decided to go blog instead.

I have my domain name already for the website and I have the blog name too. I was doing some playing on blogger and you can set it up so that when your domain address is typed in it takes you straight to the blog.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:02am
post #4 of 21

I would suggest a blog, I have one and it's soo much better. Depends on what you need it for. You can always change info update people on what's new, you have a comments section, people can follow your blog and so much more. Whereas a website you can only display your stuff and other people look and that's pretty much it. I've had both but I love my blog it's fun. And it's free at blogspot.com

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:10am
post #5 of 21

Go for both and make them a continuation of eachother. Then, if you find you hate one...drop it.

I was using a blog while I was trying to get my website going. Now, I use just my webiste...but I am thinking that I will keep pick up on my blog again. Then, you can have a link on your site to your blog....and you are still able to send your subscribers updates.

(If you don't have a good computer or program for a website, then I wouldn't mess with it. After I bought my macbook, websites are just as easy as checking email.)

foxyjos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxyjos Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:11am
post #6 of 21

Any reason why you couldn't have a blog on your website? Best of both worlds icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:14am
post #7 of 21

It may be an age thing on the differences ....

I think it depends on your intent ..... Since I am a business, I need a website that gives the look and impression of a "real" business. I want it to look businessy, professional, saying that I'm serious about what I'm doing.

When I see a blog, what goes thru my head is "someone who wants to chat about .... (whatever they do)". I view a blog just as what was mentioned above ... more casual, more interactive, barely a step above MySpace; I see "a teenager on the phone with her friends, talking about, like, wow, you know ... stuff!" A blog doesn't say "real business" to me.

And if that's what you're after, then the blog is the right decision for you. But I would just suggest you ask yourself what your intent is.

And again, the perception could just be my age. I've run into wedding vendors who have a blog instead of a website and I find them irritating .... I'm looking for information about their business. I'm not interested in reading their daily diary.

There are free websites you can get. While mine isn't free ($15/month), I did it myself and had it up and running inside just a couple of hours. They're pretty simple to put together.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:20am
post #8 of 21

I have both. People LOVE it-reading the story behind each cake.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:26am
post #9 of 21

I'm with you Debi.. I think blogs are nice, but they don't say business to me. Now I have no problem with blogs and I think they can be a nice continuation of your website, but if you are looking to go the route of the professional decorator.. it's time to upgrade from the blog. I feel the same about Flickr photostreams.. great accent to a site.. but can't substitute for one.

And I'm not *that* old (32). icon_wink.gif

icingonthecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingonthecupcake Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:47am
post #10 of 21

thanks guys for all the suggestions, I think that I will try my hand at a blog. It seems easy enough and I am not trying to neccessarily sell my cakes at the moment but more showcase what I do. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, you really helped me make a decision.

Jasmine icon_biggrin.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It may be an age thing on the differences ....

I think it depends on your intent ..... Since I am a business, I need a website that gives the look and impression of a "real" business. I want it to look businessy, professional, saying that I'm serious about what I'm doing.

When I see a blog, what goes thru my head is "someone who wants to chat about .... (whatever they do)". I view a blog just as what was mentioned above ... more casual, more interactive, barely a step above MySpace; I see "a teenager on the phone with her friends, talking about, like, wow, you know ... stuff!" A blog doesn't say "real business" to me.

And if that's what you're after, then the blog is the right decision for you. But I would just suggest you ask yourself what your intent is.

And again, the perception could just be my age. I've run into wedding vendors who have a blog instead of a website and I find them irritating .... I'm looking for information about their business. I'm not interested in reading their daily diary.

There are free websites you can get. While mine isn't free ($15/month), I did it myself and had it up and running inside just a couple of hours. They're pretty simple to put together.

I have to agree with indydebi here...I think the samething when I see a blog as apposed to a website.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:18pm
post #12 of 21

I agree with the website for selling, blog for personal use breakdown. Personally, I equate blogs with casual and websites with business. It's one thing if you're using a blog attached to a website to add to content, but if you're trying to present yourself in a professional way I wouldn't do a blog as the only thing. If you're not selling yet starting with the blog is probably easier, though.

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:46pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I'm with you Debi.. I think blogs are nice, but they don't say business to me. Now I have no problem with blogs and I think they can be a nice continuation of your website, but if you are looking to go the route of the professional decorator.. it's time to upgrade from the blog. I feel the same about Flickr photostreams.. great accent to a site.. but can't substitute for one.

And I'm not *that* old (32). icon_wink.gif

I love your website. How did you do it? (Create it, host it, etc?)

cakelady99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady99 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 7:43pm
post #14 of 21

I would suggest looking at using a blogging platform as a website. Wordpress for example allows you to create Pages rather than "posts". You can turn off all of the elements of the page that suggest a blog look and feel.

The other nice thing about using the Wordpress blogging platform is that you can update it very easily, there are built in features such as a gallery tool for your photographs, Search engines love it and you can add all of the interactive elements as you see fit.

There are many examples of people using blogs as websites and you could never tell.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:16am
post #15 of 21

Blog and brochure websites are for two separate purposes and uses. A website is 1.0 and a blog is part of the Web2.0 generation.

Without getting too "techy" basically web 1.0 and web 2.0 is how the Internet is used. When the Internet first developed, it was static and purely informational. We used it like you would a library. However, now we are in 2.0 (actually almost in web 3.0) and we still use it the same way as before, but now you have the interactive, social, and "real time" elements which build, establish, and maintain relationships. Processes are also automated and its more of a necessity.

So really you have to decide the purpose. If you want to be a business and reach certain goals, etc....you need a website. If you just want to connect with others and not sell, then use a blog. If you want to be somewhere in between, you need both. Most businesses have blogs, facebook/myspace, etc, because the market and people's lifestyles have moved into that arena and they want to stay in line with current trends and stay in touch with their customers. They still have the traditional website though because it's still a critical tool.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:14pm
post #16 of 21

I think blogs are the perfect choice for people trying to fly under the health department's radar. Otherwise, it depends on how professional you want to appear. I prefer websites for all legal businesses.

CakeForte Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:59pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

I think blogs are the perfect choice for people trying to fly under the health department's radar.

That really makes no difference and is irrelevant. If there is text and content on a website (a blog is a website) the content can and probably will get picked up by web crawlers within a few weeks and start showing up in search results.

As soon as someone plugs in a few key words related to the new site....it will begin to show up in search results., not necessarily on the first page...but it will show up.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:11pm
post #18 of 21

There is a difference between a blog and a website in that blogs are perceived as more personal sites - for writing about your interest/hobbies. If you don't post any pricing information, there's not much you can get in trouble for.

Also, most blog sites give you the option of whether you want your blog to be searchable by search engines. I have a very personal blog (not cake related) and chose not to have it searchable so that only people I give the URL to can find it.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 7:46pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleKitten

Also, most blog sites give you the option of whether you want your blog to be searchable by search engines. I have a very personal blog (not cake related) and chose not to have it searchable so that only people I give the URL to can find it.

Not to scare the dickens out of you but it can still be found.

If it's on the internet there is a way to find it be it legally or illegally (hacking).

As our lawyer told us this week, anything you post can be found and used in court no matter how closely you keep that link within your family.

We are having a very serious neighbor disput and I was blogging about it. Under his advisement he said to delete them immediately and not talk about it any where especially the internet because nothing is private, and nothing is hidden.

A great example would be someone making a blog about selling cakes who isn't legal. If the health department catches wind of the blog all they have to do is get their lawyer to get a court order for that blogger site to be able to view it. They will be knocking on your door before your blog site can notify you that they were served papers over your blog.

CakeForte Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:38pm
post #20 of 21

A blog is a website. It just has a different function, but it is still a website. You do not have to submit anything to a search engine to get picked up, even if you try to block it. That is the nature of the web. Someone links to a link that they found on a napkin in a bar in China and multiply that by 1000 and BAM....there you are on google, perezhilton.com or cakewrecks!

Anyway...I didn't mean to get away from the original post, but my point is you need to know what type of information you want to convey when deciding on the format of a website because each type has a different purpose. Also if it is on the web, it can be found by anyone.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:19pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleKitten

If you don't post any pricing information, there's not much you can get in trouble for.

And I think even this is still risky. Ever try to research cake or catering pricing on the 'net? Not too many put actual pricing on there. many have a "quotes available" or "contact us for pricing", which is still a reference to pricing, I know. But there are some who don't reference pricing at all ... they just assume you will call them if you want to know a price.

When my husband was shopping for a truck, he got very frustrated at the lack of pricing info on dealership websites.

Just because there's no pricing listed .... doesn't mean it's not a "business".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%