Cocoa And Liquid Question

Decorating By tchrmom Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 4:13am by tchrmom

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:07am
post #1 of 3

I added extra liquid to a cake recipe. I was not surprised that it needed to bake longer, but I was surprised when I did it tonight and the layers were really thin. I wonder if I should have made it 325 instead of 350. Would that have made a difference? The only other thing I did different from the recipe was use Special Dark cocoa instead of regular and add a little espresso powder. Any suggestions? The texture was also a little weird, but the flavor is really good, and it is moist.

Thanks.

2 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:48am
post #2 of 3

It would be helpful to post your recipe in order for people to analyze why it turned out thin with a "weird' texture.

I use Special Dark cocoa and have never had a problem with the cakes rising or with the texture.

Why did you add extra liquid?

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:13am
post #3 of 3

I was sort of adapting it to be similar to a Moist Chocolate Cake recipe someone here (I think it was here, anyway) will email if you ask. I can't remember the name at the moment. It's not much-- maybe 1/4 cup or so of coffee.

Here it isicon_sad.giffrom Cake Decorating for Dummies

9 T butter
3 1/2 C cake flour
3/4 C cocoa
2 C milk
4 eggs
1 1/2 t vanilla
2 t soda
1/4 t salt

I like really dark chocolate, so I also added maybe 1 T espresso. It's worked before, but took longer to bake. I baked it at 350, but I was thinking maybe I should do 325 for longer.

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%