Cookies + Convection Oven =

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 4:56am by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 7

Me being clueless!

It's time to start baking Christmas cookies and my mom just got a new Electorolux Oven so I was wonder if anyone had any tips on baking cookies with the convection setting? This is the first time we will be using it for cookies.

I'm so use to her having two ovens, but they just got new appliances, and my oven of choice is now alot smaller. The wall oven to fit in the slot they had now only holds a cookie sheet that is 13x9. Anything bigger doesn't fit. I figured if I learned how to do the convention setting on her other oven we could bake more than one sheet at a time, which will save me alot of time.

Help please!? What are the things I need to know about baking cookies in it?

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 7

I bought my convection oven just to do cookies.

Then I found out it was also good for cakes.

Recipe temp minus 25 degrees and watch the time carefully. You'll notice that the cookies brown on the outside and will stay softer inside which to me makes a perfect cookie. But convection works fast. If you look at the cookie and think, it needs about 2 more minutes, (thinking like a regular oven time) then your cookie needs to come out in about a minute.

And you can put in several sheets at a time.

TexasSugar Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you Leahs! Guess I will talk myself into starting to bake them tonight.

Do you reduce the temp by 25 for other things as well? My mom has a recipe that came from her great grandmother for a jam cake that is made in a tube or bundt pan that we bake this time of year as well.

jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 7

I'm anxious to find out about other things as well. I just got my new convection oven Sunday and haven't baked a cake in it yet. I usually set my temp in the old oven for 325.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 7

my convection oven deducts the 25 degree automatically.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 7

LUV the speed and convenience of convection baking!!

I bake all cookies at 300 degrees. All cookies. All the time. Leahs is right .... edges will be done and centers will "look" underbaked. I figure the cookie is done when I can gently push on the side of the cookie and feel that it's "set". (I never use a timer).

TexasSugar Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:56am
post #7 of 7

Well baking season is under way here. Oh can't you smell the cookies? Hehe.

So I tried out the convection setting. It will take a little getting use to, and remembering to mark the recipes with the new times, but it went pretty well.

I baked 7dz Reese's Cup cookies and 7.5 dz Bufflo Chip cookies. I also baked 4 loaves of sourdough bread (neighbor gave us a starter last week). I did bake the bread with the regular oven setting since I figured I experimented enough for one night.

I also burned two finger tips on the oven rack that was heated to 425* and caught the knuckle on my thumb. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gificon_confused.gif

Tis the season right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%