Help - Ordered Paid For - Now Wants Refund...

Business By poshcakedesigns Updated 17 Mar 2013 , 5:17am by Syriana

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:54pm
post #61 of 68

Thanks again everyone - here's an update....your gonna love this.

She did finally write me and tell me she was cancelling and 1st I was told it was because they didn't like my cake. WRONG I knew it had to be more to the story. So when I replied to her I told her again I'm sorry but will only refund half and that I don't even have to do that but I will.

Here's the good part - I get an almost yelling email back to me that I was being RUDE and UNREASONABLE and how dare me keep their money when they cancelled 2 weeks prior and had not used my services. I quoted to her our contact which she signed NO REFUNDS but credit towards a future order and I was still going out of my way for good relations to offer anything back and that I legally had every right to keep every penny. When I figured it up at the minimum I lost $200 in sales because the clients I lost wanted 3d cakes, I'm sure it was more because my starting point for 3ds are $100.

So then I get another email telling me her fiance lost his job - hum when I talked to him last week he was on vacation and was going to work on Monday when he called me. Then heard that she was losing her job in a month and NOW they need the money for bills.

From this point foward I will NEVER even offer half back - I'm just sick over this entire mess.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:50pm
post #62 of 68

Hmph. I hate liars. I guess you can't trust anything she says.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:44pm
post #63 of 68

I had a bride here recently that came in 3 weeks prior to her wedding and stated her decorator she had lined up from Craigslist called her and told her she really had no experience in making wedding cakes and that she couldn't do it. Luckily the bride hadn't paid her any money. So she came to me and we talked and she informed me that she also hadn't booked a caterer and that she might end up going to the grocery store for her stuff. I then informed her that I also do catering and asked her what her entire budget was for catering & cakes. So I worked a deal that she & I could both live with but my profit margin was slim at best, but I knew due to her occupation that she would be a great referal source if I nailed this one out of the park. One of the things she wanted was Goose Liver Pate to serve 30. Well I like to make everything from scratch so, I priced goose frois gros and the other ingredients I needed to make pate from scratch, well the cost of the liver alone was $16 per oz! So way over what her budget would do. So I gave her some options of duck or chicken liver pate...she said no way. Well then she calls me and says that Central market sells the pate platter for $45 to serve 25 and that she wanted a refund on the pate part of the contract. So I freaked my profit if I gave that portion back (which was the largest portion on the menu) would vanish! I called Central market and discovered that the pate platter did not include goose liver pate, it was a variety of pates that were duck, chicken, and different mushroom pates. They did inform me that their deli sold goose liver pate for $22 per pound. I called her back, reminded her of my refund policy, I also found out that the goose liver pate is a special order item and that they were currently out of stock. I ordered 2 pounds with them and paid for it. Informed her the pate situation was taken care of and that she didn't need to worry any longer.

She called me back actually thanking me for being so proactive and caring enough about her wedding to check it all out for her. She loved everything about her reception, cakes & food. There was not a scrap of food left! She is now a very devoted customer who refers me quite often!

Syriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Syriana Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 2:34pm
post #64 of 68

ATyy

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 6:33pm
post #65 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

Does it seem like she's agreeing with the mistaken idea that her cake sucks by the 'informed decision' part? Cake is cake is cake is cake is cake. A ten year old business cannot make cake so disagreeable as to so mightily offend a Johnny come lately bride & groom for them to cancel on taste. That's absurd. I mean unless it was horseradish cake with garlic infused honey mustard filling, blue cheese icing and an aged balsamic vinegar splash.

And I would never ever want to do business with them again! In a soft sweet breathy voice: "Why yes I'd love to give you folks another opportunity to screw me, I can't wait."

(Funny, I didn't think I was in a bad mood.)

LOL...but I don't know if I agree with the cake sucking part.  I'm not saying hers do, but taste is so relative to some people.  We have some people here in the area who I have been told have terrible cakes but their artistry is beyond reproach.  I have tasted them and am not impressed but people still go there.  They taste like they come from a box, no doctoring up...just a box.  And that is fine for some people.  I had a bride meet with me for a second time who tried them, and some other cakes in the area, and she said mine were the best she's tried (ego boost, but I am certain that I'm not THE BEST, as she couldn't possibly try everyone out there).

Anyway, it's definitely plausible it's a scam...people can be awful. 

My policy states the deposits are non-refundable.  I do need to make some clarifications of my policies after reading this post.  lol

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 8:24pm
post #66 of 68

AFive.Year.Old.Thread.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 9:51pm
post #67 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syriana 

Tyy

What does this even mean? Why is it a response to a 5 year old thread?

Syriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Syriana Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 5:17am
post #68 of 68

AWhoa! Sorry folks. My toddler got hold of my iPhone and did his thing. Lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%