Crumbly Fondant

Decorating By baka4lyfe20 Updated 30 Nov 2008 , 3:04am by baka4lyfe20

baka4lyfe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 6

Hi. I took out some fondant to use for a cake I'm making now to find that after I put it in the microwave it became a crumbly mess. I took apart a little piece and started kneading and it got a little better but not totally and then put the small piece back in the microwave which I believe made it a little better. I've also been using some water. Even with all this it is no shape to cover a cake.The fondant is just over a week old and homemade. Can you help? Thanks!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 6

try adding veg shortening and stop adding water.

baka4lyfe20 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 2:31am
post #3 of 6

It's not really working. Any other tips? Is it too old?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 2:52am
post #4 of 6

How long has it been stored? How waS it wrapped? What recipe did you use? Did you make it yourself or is it purchased?

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:00am
post #5 of 6

If it was crumbly to start with just after you made it it will be impossible to get it smooth without lumps. Sometimes if I leave mine in the KA too long with too much powdered sugar mine will be crumbly and I have to toss it because it will never be smooth. It is easier to start over with a fresh batch. If you need to use it right away knead a lot more powdered sugar into it until it becomes more stiff. You don't have to let it rest and it is very easy to work with. If it stretches too much or tears knead more PS into it. Good luck.

baka4lyfe20 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:04am
post #6 of 6

It's Colette Peter's recipe. It's been stored on the counter for just over a week. The problem might be that the plastic wrap I used didn't really stick to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%