Question About Cake Boards For "separated" Tiers

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 26 Nov 2008 , 6:43pm by tracycakes

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 3

I am doing a 4-tier wedding cake in December. The tiers will be separated by a 2" styrofoam block covered in real ribbon. I am using the SPS support under the styrofoam blocks and will set the next tier on top of the styrofoam. I want the cake board for the top, 2nd and 3rd tiers to be the same size as the cake. What I'm having problems figuring out is what kind of cake board to use that will be strong enough for the cakes.

All of the cakes are square and they in sizes 8, 10, 12, and 14.

What do you suggest for a cake board that is strong and "hidden". I'm thinking foamcore or the thin boards boards cut to the same size. I'm just afraid that foamcore board by itself won't be strong enough for the 12" cake.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

c

2 replies
yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 3

Foam core will work fine. I use the 1/2 thickness for the biggest, bottom layer and then I use the thinnest foam core board for additional layers. I have never had a cake collapse - even if it was a 12 inch cake being supprted. If you still have fears then do 2 layers of the thinnest foam core board glued together. It still won't be as bulky as the 1/2 board so you will be able to hide it better in the cake.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks! I've never done this type of tieredcake and I just hate to think about it collapsing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%