Help With Red Colored Buttercream

Decorating By ape74 Updated 29 Nov 2008 , 2:04am by tracey1970

ape74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape74 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 4:20am
post #1 of 15

Newbie here once again. I really need your advise ladies. I have two important questions about red buttercream. I am going to try to make the cute turkey cupcakes. You know? The ones with the feathers? Well, I decided to prepare my buttercream today and color everything. First of all, my red is not red. I struggled so much and never got it red. I used the Wilton No Taste Red. I even tried adding brown color, but instead I got a pinkish-mauve color. Very pretty, but not what I expected. I'm a little disappointed. I'm still going to use it though, but I know it's not perfect anymore. What did I do wrong? Was I supposed to start with chocolate buttercream just like when you color it black?

My second question is the following. I'm also going to attempt to do the peppermint cany cake that is in the Christmas gallery. The one that looks like a big peppermint candy-red and white. Anyway, if I do have to start with chocolate buttercream in order to get it red, then this is going to throw off the recipe because the girl who made the cake told me that she made peppermint icing and added peppermint snow. If I do chocolate, then it will not taste the same. I love chocolate peppermint, but this is not what I have in mind either. Any suggestions? Please help!

14 replies
Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 4:38am
post #2 of 15

Red has to deepen over time. It does take quite a bit of coloring but eventually it doesn't really accept more color. Americolor super red is the best red out there. Once your buttercream sets it darkens too.

HTH

Judi

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 4:40am
post #3 of 15

Ok I hope that I can help...first off I hate red buttercream...it is a pain in the butt, and no matter what you use I think it always tastes like paste! I use Americolor super red, and that works great..! Although the trick I have found is to make your icing orange or pink first (pink works best) then make it red from there. It will also darken as it sets. I have never heard of using chocolate, I honestly don't think you will get red..more like a funky shade of brown?. Another idea I would suggest airbrushing red too, or using fondant. I hope this helps! Good Luck...!

ape74 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 4:45am
post #4 of 15

Thank you both for your responses. I will keep your tips in mind, along with the colors you suggested.

ape74 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 4:49am
post #5 of 15

Thank you both for your responses. I will keep your tips in mind, along with the colors you suggested.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:02am
post #6 of 15

I call this Mission Impossible. icon_cool.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:19am
post #7 of 15

I use Chef Master Red Red. I always mix my red icing a day before I want to use it, it really deepens in color after sitting. To me the "no taste red" is also the "no color red".

jilliankinsel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jilliankinsel Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:42am
post #8 of 15

I have used the powdered red color and have had great results HTH

Children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Children Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:44am
post #9 of 15

Ok I used to absolutely despise making red or black but I have got a trick for both. Discovered these tricks here but I don't know who it was from to give credit.

To make red start out with yellow - mix well, then add orange - mix well, then finally add no taste red.....works every time.

For black start out with juniper green - mix well then add plenty of black.
Make sure that the juniper is mixed to a dark green.

HTH.

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:49am
post #10 of 15

I once tried to make a big batch for a large Elmo cake. I used TWO vials of the no taste red. One full one, and most of the other. I gave up in frustration and left the kitchen. It was a rosy color...not Elmo red at all. I came back in the kitchen about an hour later and BOOM...it was totally Elmo red. Red is mysterious. I agree w/ the other person, I don't think chocolate will ever get red. Good luck.

ape74 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 6:41am
post #11 of 15

Thanks to everyone for your responses and suggestions.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:05am
post #12 of 15

When I need just a bit of red or black, I use a tube of Wilton's and if I need a lot I start by making my own and add a tube of Wilton/Betty Crocker to it to help speed up the process.

meganmo27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganmo27 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 12:22am
post #13 of 15

I dread making red and black buttercream!! But, through trial and error have found that Americolor super red works very well! You don't have to use very much and it doesn't have that wierd chemical taste. For black I also use Americolor super black. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 12:32am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh

I once tried to make a big batch for a large Elmo cake. I used TWO vials of the no taste red. One full one, and most of the other. I gave up in frustration and left the kitchen. It was a rosy color...not Elmo red at all. I came back in the kitchen about an hour later and BOOM...it was totally Elmo red. Red is mysterious. I agree w/ the other person, I don't think chocolate will ever get red. Good luck.

ha ha, that happens to me too when I make my elmo cakes. Although I use a grass tip and just start squeezing, starting at the top and working my way down. When I'm done, I can tell where I started because the color is darker there. It's like a little monochromatic rainbow for a few minutes. Then it's all the same shade red.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 2:04am
post #15 of 15

I made a red icing for a few of my cakes. I always start with dark pink first and add red from there. I use the Americolor red. Works really well. Plus, letting the icing sit for a while to allow the colour to darken is a good idea. I found when making my Coke cake that the icing was a bit pinkish putting it on the cake, and as has been mentioned, it darkened right up on its own as the cake sat there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%