Decorating By lmn4881 Updated 30 Nov 2008 , 8:19pm by Deb_

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:45pm
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

Oh no she paid for all those servings!!!! I go by earlene's chart so I charged her for 60 servings. I just have to laugh everytime I see mention of sheet cake serving sizes here, makes me feel like a pot bellied pig because we all eat gigantic hunks of cake.

Good girl!

And from one pot-bellied pig to another ..... one night, my daughter and I were dying for chocolate. Grabbed a cake mix and baked a single layer 10" round cake. We ate it straight from the pan.

10" round .... serves TWO!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Stephanie, Debi around here we call those Italian-size cake slices. LOL I made a cake (my Bee Pillow Cake) that needed to serve 24 and it was a 9x13 two layer cake. Granted the top was carved a bit to give it that fluffy pillow effect, but still......

When we want to eat cake in my family, we want a PIECE of cake! lol But for the most part (more average people) that should have been fine for the number of servings.

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 2:08am
post #32 of 36

I did send her Debi's emai land never heard back from her.

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 5:18pm
post #33 of 36

I also have to agree with the color choices. You have to think that this is a 50th anniversary. How old are they? What would THEY like? Maybe black is in style right now but I know my MIL wouldn't appreciate it on her 50th anniversary cake. It is an anniversary, time for celebration of 50 years! I think pastels or just gold should've been used. That's my opinion. The black against white sticks out a lot!!!! I do agree she left the color choice in your hands so she has little room to complain, however, I would've been upset at your choice as well. Most people think we know what's best for colors, flowers etc and I think for the most part a lot of us do, in this case I agree with the client. Sorry. Maybe a little research into 50th anniversary cakes would've helped your decision with the colors. Other than the color choice, she is wrong.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 5:38pm
post #34 of 36

I would email the exact words of IndyDebi......call her on every little thing she declined to make a decision on like color etc...Don't let her be- little you this way!! I too live in Alberta and the standard size 9x13 from Co-op,Safeway,Sobey's or Superstore is 1....let me repeat 1 layer and feeds 24 and cost $24.99...

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 6:34pm
post #35 of 36

Your cake looks nice, and the lettering looks deep gold to me. The first mistake here, in my opinion, was not pinning the customer down on the colors. I won't take an order unless the customer agrees on the colors, whether they are my suggestion or theirs. I never ever go with "do whatever you want" or "you choose the colors". That's asking for problems as far as I'm concerned. I have told customer to call back when they have decided what they want. Secondly, I would have made sure to send written instructions/a drawing for how the 2 layer sheet cake needed to be cut to get the desired number of servings. I think most people, unless told otherwise, would cut a sheet cake in the usual square serving, be it a 2x2 or whatever.

As far as the colors you used, I personally would not have chosen black for an anniversary cake for someone I do not know. Black isn't a color, in my opinion, that everyone likes or would choose for a special occasion cake. I'm not knocking you here, I am only saying that there are attractive/appropriate/safe colors you could have used for an anniversary cake that probably would not have gotten the response that you received from this customer. Even if the customer said "you decide" I think it would have been more prudent for you to go with a softer, more traditional color scheme than you used in this case. Just food for thought on future orders. I wouldn't offer a refund or discount since she didn't give specific instructions.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 8:19pm
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

icon_eek.gif This is not going to be a popular post, but playing devil's advocate here... icon_biggrin.gif .Okay, I AGREE with all that everyone else is saying about icing used and the cake size issue, the customer doesn't have a leg to stand on there, HOWEVER...come on! Use some common sense on color schemes! A 50th Anniversary is the Golden Anniversary...I can understand using the Golden Yellow, but this color especially the Wilton brand does get very orange in appearance when used in buttercreams of any kind. But BLACK! I keep thinking Bumble bee colors, definitely NOT appropriate for any anniversary cake. Not that the customer has any right to complain because she didn't specify any colors, but in her defense she was probably thinking white icing, metallic gold accents, decor, or even pastels. I would have freaked at a bumble bee/Halloween colored cake for an anniversary too. Sorry, don't mean to hurt any feelings, but we as cake decorators/designers also have to have some fashion and color sense about us to do what we do. The color scheme you chose would have looked great with bumble bees as a birthday or possible baby shower cake (with baby bumble bees though). Can you tell us why you would have chosen Black to use on an anniversary cake?

This is making me have a flashback of my late mother's reaction when my sister told her that her daughter's bridesmaid's dresses were going to be black! and also...........When I picked out black granite counter tops for my kitchen. I'm not sure why the color black as an accent bothers some, but I've definitely seen it get more of a reaction than any other color. Cakes and other things included.

My home is heavily accented with black. Black wrought iron kitchen set, light fixtures, end tables, appliances, curtain rods etc. A lot of cake designers and interior decorators would agree, black is a great accent color, it makes things pop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%